Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching help please!  (Read 1402 times)

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
Hatching help please!
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
I have some hatching eggs coming in the post tomorrow, I had planned to put them in my incubator (they're Maran). However one of my Muscovy ducks is appearing to be very broody, hogging the nest box and sitting on any egg she can find. I'm tempted to try her on the hatching eggs but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any experience of ducks hatching chicks?? I don't know if I trust her to stay on them.  :-\
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Hatching help please!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:00:37 pm »
Muscovy ducks take their ducklings into water very quickly - she will drown your chicks.  You can't keep them away from water - the duck will want a wash at least once a day and the chicks will want to follow her, don't do it.  It wouldn't be fair to take them away as soon as they've hatched - Muscovies make great mums - why not just get some ebay Muscovy eggs for her instead and put your Marans in the incubator.  Happy ending. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:02:56 pm »
Absolutely agree!! You can put duck eggs under a hen, but NOT the other way round.  It's actually quite funny when the ducks get old enough to want to go in water and the mother hen goes bananas! ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
Thank you!! I shall get my incubator warmed up ready :)
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS