Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brand new pig owner and chuffed to bits  (Read 5658 times)

upthetump

• Joined Aug 2011
Brand new pig owner and chuffed to bits
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »
hi all

i have watched the forums for a while as i have been really interested in getting some pigs to rear and for the meat they will produce. River Cottage has been my inspiration through getting chickens for eggs and meat and ducks for eggs. my dream was to have pigs. through some gentle persuasion and selling the dream i have gathered 4 people together to raise 2 Gloucester Old Spot-Tamworth crosses for a quarter share each. (i couldn't afford it on my own). one of the team has raised pigs before and has the knowledge and logistical means to transport them (i refer to him as winning a dragon as in Dragons Den). i am thrilled, and today we finally sorted out the electric fence and at 11 weeks they have a 96 sq foot shed and a run of approx 175 sq metres which they are desperate to dig up as it is virgin pasture and they are like ploughs through it. i called back up at 7:45 this evening and they were so exhausted from their earthworking that they didnt even know i was there,they were flat out,lying side by side in the corner of the shed. happy days.

my aim is to rear all my own meat eventually. i've had enough of the water injected, shockingly reared rubbish we buy in supermarkets. i grow my own veg, make my own chutneys etc, i feel the welfare of animals is important and seeing those guys root today made my heart cry for the pigs reared in crates in warehouses.

thanks for reading

:wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Brand new pig owner and chuffed to bits
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:05:33 pm »
I got mine to turn the land and then to end up in the freezer.  I loved the fact that my son knew where his meat was coming from and that mine were out in a field and came running like mad pigs up the field when we came to feed them.

The meat is lovely (but a bit small as they're kk x gos) and i don't think that i'd ever go back to shop bought pork now.  Getting some bigger ones next year to get some nice bacon from them.

upthetump

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »
they are having a great time in the beautiful Rhondda Valley

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:24:42 pm »
Mine are in Carmarthenshire hehe can't beat the Welsh air  :pig:

upthetump

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »
the purpose for my allotment was to educate my children about where veg comes from, equally the same for chicken eggs etc. they havent met the pigs yet

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:32:44 pm »
Enjoy them, Upthethump, we keep our pigs for the same reason as you and have found that pigs are great animals - and addictive!  ;)

:wave:

upthetump

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:23 pm »
thanks for that, i'm a completely blank canvas with this so am learning all the time, its a great experience so far, even if they were trying to nibble my trainers earlier

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:32 pm »
One of my boars had a liking for my trainers and especially my wellies ...... little sods lol i do like having them  :pig: if i'm stressed i go into the field and they come over and the boars will come over and roll on their sides and have belly scratches

upthetump

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »
ours dont trust that much yet, they scarper if i get too close but.. when i have the feed bucket they are defintely not shy and will munch my trainers. I'm also amazed that their noses are soft but dig up big stones.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:51 pm »
I have to admit that when we got the boars the biggest one (now our stud male) did have a liking for my trainers so after a thwack on the nose he learned that it was a no no cos it bloody hurts lol

Happyhippy swears by grapes and banana for gaining trust.  Mine will wolf anything down lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 12:45:43 am »
Bananas, yes, and rubs.  Along the back at first and then around the tummy - ours would stand in a trance, lift a back leg if you rubbed inside the thigh, and pretty soon lie down to have tummy tickles.  And talk to them - just today Meg 'oofed' and stood tall, upset by the noise and smell of some men doing roadworks outside her paddock, but a few words from me and she relaxed and went back to eating her breakfast.  It was a good feeling!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:06:15 am »
i have 6 pigs its our first year and we just love them we have 2 tamsworth some people don't like the breed they can squeal alot lol 2 saddlebacks an goucester old spot and my latest a kune pig as you say they love turning up the ground they love attention and a good scratch. my ponies were scared of them at first was very funny to see lol with harry being warned if he misbehavedx :pig: he was in with the pigs we also have 15 lambs in a field we rent and hens and ducks would love some cows if we can rent some more fields. :pig: :&> :sheep: :horse: :chook:

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 10:19:06 am »
i have 6 pigs its our first year and we just love them we have 2 tamsworth some people don't like the breed they can squeal alot lol
That's not just Tamworth's - that's ALL pigs, just wait til you're late with breakfast  ;D Anything with sticking up ears has the advantage of being able to hear far more than the floppy ears, and they do hear you and boy can they shout when they feel like it !  ;D ;D
Pigs are fantastic, and intelligent and very rewarding to keep and while it's great to have them tame and friendly, if they are destined to be pork eventually you've got to keep that in the back of your mind or it can make it harder on you when 'the time' comes.
But yeah, to get them tame just sit in their paddock with a pocket or wee bag full of fruit, within 5 minutes they'll be over to investigate and about 5 minutes after that they'll be literally eating out of your hand which does make it so much easier if you need to do anything with them  ;)

Hello & welcome to the forum too upthetump  :wave: ;D
Karen x

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »
Hi Newbie and welcome to the magic of pig keeping, they are the most fab animals you will ever have the privilege to know, I originally was only going to have lambs and chickens then my eldest son got the "I wants" for a pig as he is big bacon fan, well we only have pigs and chickens now we are very fond of each and every pig we have they recognise my voice and both my son's, I have a boar called Bob who is very special as a mad sow I had tried to squash him when he was small so in the house he came for a week and we all nursed him then in a warm trailer to a well sized pen and ark to himself now he gets to share is home with all the lady's  :o.  he is the only pig that has complete run of the field and of course the sow he is covering at the time.  They are very mischievous so don't let those cute little faces fool you.  Again welcome and best of luck with your piggies you have picked a fab breed by the way Gloucester Old Spots rule.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS