Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you get a sheep flock MV accredited???????(Maedi Visa  (Read 14811 times)

Longwool Leicesters

• Joined Aug 2011
How do you get a sheep flock MV accredited???????(Maedi Visa
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »
I am a small rear breed farmer in Northern Ireland and have 7 Long wool Leicester Black sheep I went over to Devon in July and purchased a further 7 ewes and 2 rams from 1 sale and then purchased another Ram from another farm, it has been a nighmare to get them to Northern Ireland with the DARD and DEPRA rules!!!!!!!!!! this flock is not MV accredited and would have been more simplar if they had been ...... update is 9 off them are arriving tomorrow and there has been a hickup with the Ram as he was unfit to travel due to a cold. These sheep in NI has to be isolated for 6 months I wish to ask anyone do they know how to MV accreadit a flock or can you get 1 MV accredted as this would mean the Ram would be in isolation only for 6 days and not 6 months. Please help I am despart. for correct information as the govering bodies do not know 1 hand from the other

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: How do you get a sheep flock MV accredited???????(Maedi Visa
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »
Hi There  :wave:  Having exported sheep to NI I know what you must be going through  :(

Have your original sheep been blood tested for MV?  The imported ones must have been, so if the previous ones have been tested then getting accreditation could be that simple.  However, I don't know and it could be that you have to jump through hoops for a couple of years of blood testing to get your accreditation.  DARD must have an Animal Health section where you can get the information.  Sorry not to be much help, but I thought I would sympathise at least :)  You are right when you say that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing - or that was our experience. 

Hopefully someone who knows some facts will come along to help here.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:05:16 pm »
I think this might be what you are looking for http://www.sac.ac.uk/mainrep/pdfs/mvrulespdf .  Basically lots of rules especially in relation to any non MV stock kept on the same premises and two blood tests six months apart before accreditation is granted if I understand the situation correctly.  And I think I am right in saying there has never been an outbreak in a Leicester Longwool flock which if I am right highlights just how crazy this is.  Worth contacting the Rare Breed Survival Trust perhaps?  Im fairly sure their Northern area officer covers Northern Ireland and she may be able to help work a way through officialdom.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:46:06 pm »
To get a flock accredited in England/Wales/Scotland requires the premises to be inspected by a vet to ensure such things as sufficient gap between the accredited flock and neighbours' animals (at least 3metres). The animals need to be blood sampled twice at least 6 months apart and not more than a year apart and to pass both lots of blood samples. There are additional rules on isolation of any animals bought in etc. Also any goats on the premises would require CAE accreditation as well.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
don't take this as fact or the rules to ad hear to
we did have sheep that were not mv accredited  there was a gap betwean them going and mv accredited sheep comming on
to get us mv accredited the vet came blood sampled the 2 ewes sent the samples off the results were clear so we are now mv accredited
the farm was not inspected   no extra fencing was erected
if you are mv accredited and non mv stock come on you are back to square one
but i have seen the division betwean mv/none mv  flocks being just a farm road with none mv stock grazing up to the mv flock
as fronhaul has said    best to contact SAC  :farmer:

Longwool Leicesters

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 05:33:28 pm »
Thanks all the people who advised me on the MV thing. It has progress to Northern Ireland does not have accredited flocks as wait for it we do not have this decease !!!!!!!!!!! Also thank to the person who advised me to go to the RBST regarding Leicester Longwool on the statis off this decease. will do that thanks again all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS