Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing for llamas and llamas in Scotland?  (Read 13502 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Fencing for llamas and llamas in Scotland?
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:53:20 am »
Just wondered what sort of fencing you guys use for llamas? I keep alpacas and use 3' stock fencing with a further wire 6" - 8" above. I have some lovely walks around my property and would love to walk a llama around the land.
Would be grateful for any advice?

Are they any llama keepers in Scotland / Aberdeenshire?

Thank you in advance  :)
Metal Detectorist

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Fencing for llamas and llamas in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »
i only no of one lady she stays near lanark way and has 2 castated males

her fence must be 5 foot high ish in places and is stock netting with them 2 rows of planks on top with a space between them

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »
our friend has 3    :alpaca: :alpaca: :alpaca:     they were getting fences done to keep them in there padock       hopetoun est has lamas   :farmer:

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »
Thanks for the info
Metal Detectorist

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »
Although not in Scotland, actually we're in North Devon & probably couldn't be further away and still be in the UK  :wave:, we are llama keepers.

Our standard fencing is probably no more than 3'6" and the llamas are very respectful of these fences and apart from the odd occasion they have never tried to escape - the odd occasions have been once when spooked by dogs and the second a female trying to escape from a male during a "spit off"!

We're having a new field done and are aiming to have a 4'6" fence with stock fencing at the bottom and a double rail at the top - we're going for something more substantial as these fields are not within seeing distance of the house and around our house there is more than one fence they'd have to clear to get onto a road whereas with these new fields they have only one hence them being a bit taller!

Hope that helps!
@llamakevin based in North Devon - have you found us on facebook yet?

https://www.facebook.com/Ashwoodllamas

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:25 pm »
hi, im sure there are llamas just on the outskirts of crathes and also ive heard of some in Netherley too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »
There were two absolutely gorgeous male llamas sold at Lanark today, made £260 each (sold as a pair.)  They were so elegant, and dignified - and beautifully marked.  (I'd only seen all-white or all-cream ones before.) Although you could see that one of them was very close to spitting at the next person who came up and talked to them in that goo-goo llama talk...  :alpaca:  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:56:37 pm »
did you see who bought them lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:21:22 am »
I didn't - but I would only have recognised four people around the ring anyway!  (It wasn't Karen, Bruce, Rosemary, Ruth...?  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:39:20 pm »
lol ok

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:40 am »
http://www.craighighlandfarm.co.uk/craig_highland_farm/Welcome.html

Bit late but, if anyone is interested in Camelids in the highlands, the above have them
rgds
Sskye.
Rgds
Sskye

zacs_livestock

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 06:17:11 pm »
Hi
I live in Troon, Ayrshire and keep alpacas. I just use two strands of wire and mine stay in very easily and never cause any trouble.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:04 pm »
Hi
If I take the slug road from Stonehaven to Westhills there is a field with a large amount of llamas or alpacas. I would guess there is about 12 or so. Field right next to road so very visible. I don't know what that area is called. It's before peterculter. Sorry to be so vague! About breed and whereabouts!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 11:33:45 am »
Hi
If I take the slug road from Stonehaven to Westhills there is a field with a large amount of llamas or alpacas. I would guess there is about 12 or so. Field right next to road so very visible. I don't know what that area is called. It's before peterculter. Sorry to be so vague! About breed and whereabouts!

That's the one in Netherley that is mentioned above.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »
There's a lady just outside Methlick, on the B9005 that has Llama's and Alpaca's - they seem to happily stay behind stock fencing with a couple of wires above and one below.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS