Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kneedles and sharps  (Read 5812 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Kneedles and sharps
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:25 pm »
Hi all,

Quick question. I have a sharps bin and Im about to use some needles for teh first time; was wondering whats the correct way to disspose of them now a days  ???

Thanks

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Kneedles and sharps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:28:31 pm »
I take mine to my vets and they dispose of them.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:29:33 pm »
ask your council - there is may be a charge.
Ask your vet or local GP surgery if they will take your sealed sharps bin

I took our needles back to the vet to dispose of

Hth
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »
JulieS, you must type faster than me (that's not saying much, my cats type faster than me!!)
Little Blue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:42 pm »
It takes an age (years) to fill the sharps bin, as long as you don't put the whole syringe in.  When it is eventually full your vet will dispose of it for a small fee.  Interestingly I seem to be the only person in this area who has ever asked to have this done.  I wonder what everyone else does with their sharps  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »
Our vet supplied the sharps bin which included disposal in the price

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:01:57 am »
Never thought about it before, but I've got a small pile of used needles since having to dose Bella with penicillin last week. I'll maybe ask at our local GPs surgery if they'll deal with them for me.

I know they're supposed to be disposable but is there any reason why they can't be used again if they're boiled first to kill bacteria?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:24:08 am »
I know they're supposed to be disposable but is there any reason why they can't be used again if they're boiled first to kill bacteria?
They'll not be as sharp, so may bend when you try to use them, I'd get some new ones, they're only pennies each normally  ;)
Karen  :wave:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:53:07 pm »
Yes, I was planning on ordering a batch from Fearings but it seems such as waste. Presumably the re-usable needles are heat treated or something so they remain sharp longer.

Gary

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »
Boiling wouldn't clean the inside of the needles which will have small amounts of flesh from the previously injected animals in them as well as all sorts of pathogens.  The re-useable needles can be horribly dirty and festering, then people wonder why their animals get abscesses and so on at injection sites.  As HH says - disposable needles are very cheap so it really is a false economy to try to re-use them. 
If you don't have a sharps bin you can use a jam jar or a tin with a screw top lid just to keep them safely away from accidents until you can get a bin.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:49 pm »
If you don't have a sharps bin you can use a jam jar or a tin with a screw top lid just to keep them safely away from accidents until you can get a bin.

It won't affect most of you, I guess, but if you are Farm (or Scotch) Assured, they don't like you to have a glass jar (in case it breaks) nor one that can be opened - they advise glueing the screw-top lid on and punching a hole in it to drop the needles through.

I used to use an empty Diet Coke tin, but they didn't like that as they thought children might try to drink the Diet Coke.  ::)

They can't complain about a vet-supplied or NHS sharps bin - but all the ones I have seen have a lid that opens!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 05:56:20 pm »
Thanks everyone very helpful vets sound a good move.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:52 am »

It won't affect most of you, I guess, but if you are Farm (or Scotch) Assured, they don't like you to have a glass jar (in case it breaks) nor one that can be opened - they advise glueing the screw-top lid on and punching a hole in it to drop the needles through.

I used to use an empty Diet Coke tin, but they didn't like that as they thought children might try to drink the Diet Coke.  ::)

They can't complain about a vet-supplied or NHS sharps bin - but all the ones I have seen have a lid that opens!

That is a good point as my sharps bin lid opens (pulls off) I never really thought about it before as I don't have bairns running round anymore

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:15:31 pm »
Hi,

The sharps bin we use (and supply) has a rotating lid, you just trap the needle in it, pull it off the syringe, let it fall inside then rotate to close the top.  Simples.....

And I agree - needles are pennies - get new ones each time.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:53:53 am »
Makes you wonder how we survived childhood school injections when you all lined up for your jab with the same needle, the thought of all the other kids flesh being squirted into your arm makes you cringe even now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS