Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducklings  (Read 8682 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Ducklings
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:01 pm »
Hi, last year for the first time I sucessfully hatched ducks eggs in my incubator. I really enjoyed this and want to start hatching again. However, the only problem is I kept all that I hatched last year and cannot possibly keep any more. So, before I buy any heggs and try to hatch them I thought I would ask you good people of any of you are looking for ducklings and what type you would like - and I could enjoy the hobby but for someone else!! Please letme know if interested. I am on the outskirts of St Andrews, Fife.

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Ducklings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:38:54 pm »
I am really interested in aquiring some ducks and am not really very fussy what breed - something that suits the Argyll coast!  That's the only problem - we are on the west coast and you are over there on the east.  (Funnily enough I used to live in Tayport and did my first year of secondary school at Kilrymont!!)
Cheers
Lisa

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:52:59 pm »
Lisa that is just typical. I would be more than happy to hatch for you if you can arrange pick up?

Just took this video of my goats, hope you enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ujkPkA05c

James

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:14:32 pm »
Hi would you want the eggs supplied I,m thinking about some call ducks what would you charge
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:19:56 pm »
Hi, if you supply the eggs I am more than happy to hatch them for you, free of charge. Ofcourse I can't guarantee they will all hatch but I would certainly try me best. If I have to buy the eggs myself then as long as you cover the cost of these, I'm happy.

James

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »
Thanks I know a couple of people who I could get eggs of so will see them first and let you know later how I get on and I think you should at lease charge a amount to cover your costs Electricity etc,Thanks for now.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:09:09 pm »
Not a problem Bigchickem, you can let me know

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:19:30 am »
Hi James!
Lisa from Argyll here again.  After a chat with the hubby we thought it would make for a nice trip out to come over to Fife sometime,  have a look around St.Andrews again and tie the trip in with maybe collecting some ducklings from yourself!! So, I wonder if we can arrange for you to go ahead and have a go at hatching some ducklings for us!
Cheers  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:03:03 am »
Hi Lisa

That is not a problem. How many ducks would you like and what breed would you want? Just drop me an e mail and I can get "cracking"  :&>

jamesmlindsay@btconnect.com

James

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 10:28:09 pm »
hi James,
That's great to know! Please have a look at our flock

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=ducks+in+snow+fife&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

I am quite sad that we only have one of the wee black ones, whatever breed she is...Does her looks ring a bell? Where she came from there were 2 others which flew away, she is not a cross! If you know of anyone locally where I can get this breeds' eggs (they're blueish), I'd be ever so grateful, as all "we" can produce is a funny cross - our boys are Campbells lol :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 11:01:10 pm »
Thanks for the video, very nice. The black one look like 2 of mine, but can't be sure from the picture. Last year I incubated 6 Aylesbury eggs, 1 turned out not to be fertile but the other 4 hatched. Unfortunately I only got 1 pure Aylesbury and the others look some what like your one - crossed with something else????? Perhaps Kakhi Campbells, I don't know. I would love to let my ducks out to roam the large garden as their enclosure is often left as mud with all the grass destroyed. However, we live on the banks of the rive Eden so they would more than get on teh water and never come back!

This is the goats - taken earlier. Rosie ( the fence jumper) could barely walk when we got her about 6 months ago as she had been neglected, now look at her.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLXfwDTzBY

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:21:48 am »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLXfwDTzBY
She does it so ladylike too ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:24:37 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 08:16:32 am »
Annie - she is such a superstar. I rescued both her and Toggi about 6 months ago. When they arrived - I had not saw them before this time - I thought oh my god. Both of them could barely walk but Rosie was by far the worst, her ribs were sticking out, her coat was falling out and when she lay down she held her head so low you thought she only had a short time to live. The vet was called immediately, I doubt they had ever seen a vet before. After a lot of "TLC", food, shelter and money spent on the vet both of them made incredible recoveries. The vet was amazed at the change in them in such a short time.

Rosie is so cheeky and full of mischief now. She goes off exploring on her own, climbs on top of the goose hut so she can get up a tree and generally just loves her life now and adores attention and cuddles. She would eat all day every day if she could and often goes and tries to steal the ponies food - and sometimes even wins! Toggi is much more of a gentleman, he just takes life very easy and is very relaxed. Rosie is 12 and Toggi now 11 and I am just amazed at how affectionate this pair are. For once its a story with a happy ending.

James

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:50:38 am »
Hi James, I just watched all your videos, they're georgeous! I mentioned goats to my OH and he said I can't go on "holiday" anymore if I get goats...My mother lives abroad, so that's off for the moment (I'll work on it!).
You must put some videos up with your ducks. We used to have them in an enclosure but they were so unhappy. I actually expected the garden to look worse than it does. As we also had some problems with flooding they turned some areas into mudpools, but I'll fence it off and start afresh there with new grass seeds. The lawn was taken over by couch grass a lot anyway...:&>

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 06:34:26 pm »
Ahh but you have goats if you can find someone to look after them while you are away. And I'm SURE there are plenty of people near you who could goat sit.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS