Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mites?  (Read 7562 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Mites?
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »
I think my goat might have mites.  If she were a horse we would treat her with a dectomax injection. 

What is the correct treatment for goats?  And how do i check that it definately is mites before I go trying something?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Mites?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:35:08 pm »
Dectomax can be used on goats, though it may not be licenced?!

Check with your vet (phone them, it'll just be the price of the call!) to check the dosage.

hope someone more helpful comes along soon :)
Little Blue

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:27 pm »
Dectomax can be used for mites in goats but isn't licensed, but then very little is licensed for goats. If your goat is milking then I wouldn't use Dectomax.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:59:36 am »
There are various 'pour-on' preparations available..... you can buy any of these at Agricultural stores.   
But you must not mention these are for goats because they won't sell to you.   
In any case you need a preparation that is Ivermectin based and for use on cattle.

The milk withdrawal periods are variable... some are 7 days only.    This withdrawal period was intended for animals producing milk for public sale but is advised in all cases.   Obviously you can use the milk for feeding youngsters.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:04:44 am »
the goat that i think has them isnt a milker...well she is, just not at the moment if that makes sense.

will go down the ivermectin route me thinks....tho vet says he will do dectomax...as long as i dont blame him if she drops down dead he says...... :-\

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:12:03 am »
tho vet says he will do dectomax...as long as i dont blame him if she drops down dead he says...... :-\

that's helpful!!
:D
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:37:00 am »
the goat that i think has them isnt a milker...well she is, just not at the moment if that makes sense.

will go down the ivermectin route me thinks....tho vet says he will do dectomax...as long as i dont blame him if she drops down dead he says...... :-\

That's usual practice, and is called the cascade system. Vet can prescribe non-goat-licensed medicines for use in/on goats, based on licenses for sheep and/or cattle. However the responsibility is yours as the owner. It works well, and if your vet is interested in goats keep them.

It is also always cheaper to bring your goat to them for injections, blood samples etc. No call-out fee.

Re blood samples - if you want to mate your goats this autumn make sure you have a valid CAE certificate (valid for 12 months from testing), if you got them without it it is probably just quicker to get one done.

local yokel

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:08:52 pm »
Hi. I've got some goats seem to be very sensitive to mites and others not affected at all. Talking to other breeders at a show recently they all said mites have been bad this year. All recomended removing the scabs and using sudocrem. I've tried Ivomec pour on and a jab from the vet for my worst affected goatling without much success. Going to try Spot on and see if that helps.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »
I alway find Spot On is pretty effective at clearing those kind of things up.

Beth

local yokel

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »
Balligall - What rate do you use it at - ml per kg body weight?
I've a fairly stocky pygmy goatling probably about 20kg, who still hasn't responded after 2 goes with spot on, even though last time I gave her 3.5 ml. The cows only get about 10-15ml! I don't want to poison her but I'm desperate to get her sorted out as her nose and chin are realy scabbed and cracked and she sometimes has scabs round her eyes too. I can't clean the worst scabs off because it's hurting her and making the skin bleed, even though I soften and soak th scabs first.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »
I'm not a goat person so this is probably complete nonsense - but do goats get orf?  If I had a lamb whose nose and chin were scabbed and cracked, it'd be orf.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:02 pm »
I'm not a goat person so this is probably complete nonsense - but do goats get orf?  If I had a lamb whose nose and chin were scabbed and cracked, it'd be orf.

Yes goats can get it, but this (above message) doesn't sound like orf. Orf would clean up eventually of its own accord, so looks like mites of some sort.

If it is that bad I would get the scabs tested as to what they are exactly, probably the vet would take a sample.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:00:50 pm »
how do i go about getting a cae certificate please?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 12:37:10 pm »
IF you are a member of the British Goat Soc. BGS , there is a downloadable form to print off and give to your vet to fill in. he then sends the  samples and form to Aberdeen Uni. for testing then he gets the results back and returns the original result form to you.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »
You don't need to be a member to use the form. I did it yesterday!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS