Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What feed are you using?  (Read 4134 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
What feed are you using?
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:25 am »
I hate blank spaces so will kick off with a question.

What feeds are people using for their alpacas and has anyone found an acceptable alpaca treat?

We are feeding a mix of Camelibra and Alfabeet.  Our boys tend to pick the Alfabeet out first and then eat the Camelibra if they can be bothered.  Tried most of the alpaca "treats" I have found listed on the web but not one of mine appears sufficiently food orientated to be interested.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Re: What feed are you using?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:30 am »
We use an Alpaca feed made by Norvite in Aberdeenshire. A small group of Alpaca keepers up here have formed a cooperative and we place a bulk order! During the summer mine are just on grass with a small amount of feed being giving each evening..... this also keeps them quite social with us and allows us to move them from paddock to paddock just by using the bucket  :)
Metal Detectorist

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:43 am »
I feed mine coarse goat mix and they love it.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »
We use the Badminton Alpacas & Llama mix!

Although we regularly give small portions all year around to our mums & mums to be, we use it sparingly with the boys and more as a training treat!

It's about £9 a bag though, so not cheap, but a lot cheaper than camelibra which some of my fellow llama people down here swear by!
@llamakevin based in North Devon - have you found us on facebook yet?

https://www.facebook.com/Ashwoodllamas

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:56 pm »
Our llama does not like the proper llama feed.  He does like goat mix, sheep nuts, and he adores greegold alfalfa and also the horses readygrass.  He can eat a vast amount of hay too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS