Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waterproof gear in large sizes  (Read 4435 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Waterproof gear in large sizes
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:12:19 am »
I can't remember when we last had a dry week and I am beginning to struggle to remember the last two dry days in succession and I am tired of having a wet posterior almost permanently so I have been looking at waterproof gear for the less than slim.  My covetous eyes have fallen on Seal Flex gear but it can scarcely be described as  cheap.  Does anyone have any experience of it or have any other thoughts on alternatives please?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Waterproof gear in large sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:07 am »
I haven't tried Seal Flex - if you get it I would be very interested to know how you get on.

Of the regular farmwear waterproofs, I find only the Flexothane and Airflex are in fact waterproof.  And then only for one season.  I bought a Delamare coat last year and was delighted with it for a few weeks, but then I started to be getting damp arms ...

The only actually waterproof, stay waterproof gear I have ever had was some used yachting gear.  But even with those, the one suit had towelling lining, one had fabric elasticated cuffs and with both the water would seep into the cuff or sleeve lining and run back up your arms...

I have wondered whether the best solution is waxed cotton, have three or four sets of jackets and trousers, and keep reproofing.  But then the last Barbour I bought (before I left the rat race, I get the make the market sells now!) leaked on first wearing...

What I most want to find is any maker / supplier of large LADIES farm work clothing.  (Other than Barbour.)  By the time I have an item of clothing that fits my ample backside, the legs need turning up a foot or two, shoulders come halfway down to my elbows... 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:36:28 am »
the problem with working in waterproof  clothes ifs they don't let the sweat out so still feel wet.......

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:41 am »
What I most want to find is any maker / supplier of large LADIES farm work clothing.  (Other than Barbour.)  By the time I have an item of clothing that fits my ample backside, the legs need turning up a foot or two, shoulders come halfway down to my elbows... 

Ditto - I need XL size to get my bum into it but that makes the legs unworkable in both width and length, so I have given up looking and would love to know of a cheap but reliable alternative to multiple changes of clothes :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:55 am »
I never manage to make Barbour style jackets last more than five minutes before one of the Jacobs manages to rip a pocket with their horns.

As for Ladies rather than making do :( - not a chance it seems.  I think I am going to take the plunge with a pair of Seal Flex trousers even if they are expensive.  If nothing else is achieved we might even get a dry spell once they arrive.  Will report back in due course.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:58 am »
I milk for the farmer near me every day and have found that a 'parlour suit' is fantastic.  Big enough for me (and that's huge!!!), lightweight, and waterproof.....I have 2 sets, one for milking which lasts around 6 months (cattle wee, dung and chemicals for washing down are tough on any waterproofs) and another set for at home with the pigs which is still waterproof and lasting well after 18 months.

I get mine from Mole Valley Farmers, but I'm sure other places sell them too.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:04 am »
KIWIKIT - All I can say is BRILLIANT.    We have the overtrousers and I have a jacket and a pair of dungaree type overtrousers too.    They are brilliant against the wetest of weather, warm in winter, cool in warm weather, AND if you do make a little hole in them (brambles!!!) you can even get little patches to mend them.     Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive but on the whole, money well spent as if you look after them (and keep washing them as this is good form them), they last for years.     www.kiwikit.co.uk
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS