Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boar and gilt together  (Read 7602 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
boar and gilt together
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:31:35 pm »
You may all remember that when I joined the site a few months ago and moving into our first venture with pigs that we "accidentally" got a boar and a gilt instead of two gilts.  I received some assurance at the time that it shouldn't be a problem because they don't become sexually mature until about 6 months by which time they would be on their way to the abattoir.  However, the male is now trying to mount the female!! He is not managing to as yet and appears to be "practicing" with no avail.  Is this normal at this age or do I need to start thinking about either separating them or getting him to the slaughter more quickly than anticipated?  Thanks for any help in advance and Robert - yes you did tell me so and I should've listened then but I'm a bit stubborn  ;D ;D ;D

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Re: boar and gilt together
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »
sorry shoul've saide they are now about 4 months old x

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »
It's a toughie  :-\
I wouldn't imagine they'd be much point in taking him now in terms of meat you'll get in return (could be wrong though) and if you're seperating them it's best to be out of sight and smell of the other, which in effect means you have 2 lone pigs (neither will be very happy and as the weather turns, they'll be cold and miserable without their buddy to snuggle up to) Again, taking him now and keeping your gilt produces the same problem  :-\ Unless you can get her another gilt to keep her company  ;)(would be best to be of a similar age/size)
Although it's usually 6 months onwards for sexual maturity, they do tend to get a bit of practice in early on and pigs have a terrible habbit of not reading the same books as us and just doing whatever they feel like  ::) :D If she's showing any signs of coming into season (ie. she's standing for him and her vulva is red and a bit swollen looking) it's better to get them seperated asap.
HTH ?
Karen x

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »
Is castration an option?  I've got one that i'm intending to keep my boar company over winter :)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »
Thanks, there is no sign of her coming into season and he's not yet hassling her all the time.  He seems to just be trying the whole procedure on for size but as I'm a first timer I could be wrong. x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »
nothing like a bit of practice ;)

Just out of interest, what would the abbatoir say if they went "in pig?"
Would it be a big problem?
Little Blue

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:14:54 pm »
Quote from Welshlass181:
"Is castration an option?"

At 4 month he'd need a general anaesthetic, which would be bloody expensive. They do practice from a very early age, you're probably OK now but 6 months is pushing it. i'd go with Happy Hippy's advice and also get them finished and off to the abattoir as early as you can. I don't know what would happen if you took a gilt in pig for slaughter - guess it must happen now and then.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:54:10 pm »
TV whats the latest I should leave them?  Don't think I'd get much from them just now although they are growing at an alarming rate x

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:11:45 pm »
there are a lot of gilts that go inpig to slaughter         more than you think
they are just starting to grow at a decent rate     another 2 months  then off they go :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »
oh goodness, we've just had 4 pigs, we ordered 4 boars. Hubby went to fetch them, brought them back and I realised when he'd unloaded that one was a gilt!  Checked the paperwork and the farmer had put down 4 boars and was so apologetic when I rang him.  Too late though, I just hope they behave till they are 6 months old.  They are 12 weeks now.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:35:29 pm »
Hi, I personnally think they will be fine for a while yet I have 3 boys on each other just practising it is certainly a site to see  :P however, the boys practice a lot and even make the hip movement but at 4 months there shouldn't be any willies out yet, the conversations I have had with people since keeping pigs if overheard you could arrested :-\, all mine are together until 6 months ish.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »
Quote from Welshlass181:
"Is castration an option?"

At 4 month he'd need a general anaesthetic, which would be bloody expensive. They do practice from a very early age, you're probably OK now but 6 months is pushing it. i'd go with Happy Hippy's advice and also get them finished and off to the abattoir as early as you can. I don't know what would happen if you took a gilt in pig for slaughter - guess it must happen now and then.

I had 3 done not so long ago and it was £50 each. All of them are now pets :) 2 are in forever homes and the 3rd is still with my herd.

Bioman

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:47:34 pm »
Its perfectly normal! My growers occasionally do the same- they arent sexually mature till nearer 9 months- there really is nothing to worry about

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:34:30 am »
 bioman    just because you have not had any accidents is is inappropriate to give advice on your findings when others up and down the country have the evidence to prove you wrong :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:23:49 am »
Would echo Robert's comments, i've heard of lots of "accidents" with gilts in pigs at six months old!!
So you takes your chance, its up to you.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS