Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unexpected visitors  (Read 6938 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
unexpected visitors
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
At the weekend I had 2 unexpected visitors.
I got up to find 2 beltex rams in with my ewes after a bit of a fight I contained them in the small paddock and OH went to the neighbour to tell them they had escaped. The neighbour said they didn't belong to him but a farmer that was renting the field, over an hour later the farmer turned up with not even a sorry.
Today my sheep have got through the hole the beltex made into there field (no rams there now) and the neighbour has rang my landlord complaining. This is after me putting up with there dogs running around my fields worrying the sheep and the rams visiting for the last week, I find it very unfair that they can get so unreasonable and demand I leave work and get to the farm instantly to bring my sheep back from there safe enclosed empty field and they can't wait until I get in from work.
The landlord is now very upset and my tenancy hangs in the balance.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: unexpected visitors
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »
Shame. Hope things work out OK.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »
I would be telling them that next time the rams get it you will be reporting them to Animal Health for unauthorised movement. And next time the dogs are in they will be shot.

Im not normally OTT about these things but this sounds like unreasonable behaviour.

How good were the fences and are they his responsibility (England) or joint (Scotland)?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »
I'm sorry he's being so awkward - what's behind that?  >:(

Can you talk to your landlord and explain that the sheep got out through a hole that the nieghbour's tenant's sheep made and that you're not sure why he's being so difficult with you nor ringing them directly - how reasonable is your landlord?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:43 pm »
they are hedges which I had patched with wire and pallets last year. The neighbours were looking at the hedges yesterday when I was busy in the field and said they were patching where the rams got through so I thought no more about it but they had there side of the hedge cut yesterday which has damaged and pulled down some of my fencing posts in the other field and they know from last year that the way they have there hedges done always creates more holes and it takes a few days to find all of the issues.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »
Such a shame that some neibours can be so stupid and difficult over the simplist of things that can be easily sorted !!!  hope you can make them see sense !!

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33:59 am »
To quote and old advert "It's good to talk"  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:55:33 am »
or another one

'good fences make good neighbours'
and
'my neighbours neighbour is my friend'

:-)))

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:29:29 am »
Sometimes a charm offensive is the best tactic.  If nothing else it at least gives one the satisfaction of knowing one is on the moral high ground...  (I know, I should turn the other cheek without seeking reward in this life or the next... but sometimes it takes quite a bit of self-motivation to be sweet and charming to the unreasonable...)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:55 am »
I normally do do that Sally but yesterday I was in tears as they are just so unreasonable. So I have now decided that if the dog comes in and worries the sheep I will ring the police as I have tried to highlight the problem and talk to them about it and it still continues with the answer of 'she is fine with sheep'. Chasing the sheep down 2 fields is not fine and not listening to commands is not fine.

I locked the sheep in my small paddock and chained the gate this morning as I couldn't fix all the holes last night in the top field, so unless the sheep learn how to use bolt cutters they are safe. It's not fair on them but it is only for a few days until I can get all of the stuff to fix the problem.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:41 am »
It makes life so stressful this sort of thing doesn't it

Why are they being so awkward?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:35:05 am »
Ellisr I've read your various posts over the months and you seem to have such problems living there. Of course I don't know both sides of the stories but just from reading what you write, I think it is time for you to seriously consider moving. You get so much hassle from so many different people.

All the moving problems and grief of finding another place aside, there are other properties out there with a bit of land. What you go through from those around you at that property is not worth all the worry.

:bouquet:

Re the dog, it shouldn't be in there, end of. I would ring the police if it entered again and report it for sheep worrying - and when you see them next tell the dog owners that is exactly what you will do (so they know in advance, it might make them think twice about allowing it to roam). Say it in a 'nice' way, but stand your ground.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:37:44 am »
just shoot the bugger       either film or lead :farmer:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »
Moving is not an option for a long while.

I am putting up new fencing 'again' this weekend and electrifying the top so if the dog jumps it will get a shock.

My neighbours always seem to get grumpy in the summer holidays so I'm sure they will settle down again and just leave us alone

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:56 pm »
Move. Worrying and stressing just isn't worth it.  Why not try a local estate/farm and see if they have anything.  We've had very inconsiderate neighbours in the past and it's upsetting, now we live without neighbours and it is bliss.  Animals are much nicer than most people, sad to say.  Good luck.  Perhaps a lump of meat from the freezer to whoever you are trying to appease may do the trick temporarily.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS