Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mint sauce!  (Read 4930 times)

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
Mint sauce!
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:10:35 pm »
Today I made some mint sauce using a recipe I haven't tried before:

50g chopped fresh mint, 250 ml of malt vinegar & a few tablespoons of sugar - simmered for 20 minutes.

Will have to wait for some lamb to be cooked before trying - maybe next weekend!

Anyone got any other decent recipes? Always looking for good ones!

Thanks
@llamakevin based in North Devon - have you found us on facebook yet?

https://www.facebook.com/Ashwoodllamas

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Mint sauce!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:29 pm »
I always make mint jelly. Cooking apples cut up, skin, cores and all, put in a pan with JUST enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer until apples are pulpy. Hang up in a muslin bag overnight. Next day dissolve one pound of sugar to one pint of juice and boil until set. Stir in loads of chopped mint (one armful to two pints of juice?) Pot in hot jars and cover.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »
I never cook the mint sauce. same ingredients but just put in a jar chopped up covered in vinegar/sugar mix . Tastes very fresh even after months!

I also tried

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/come-dine-with-me-recipes/series-9/mint-and-mascarpone-ice-cream-recipe

the kids don't like it as it has mint bits in it instead of chocolate and it tastes not like the one from the icecream parlour but it think it is rather nice - all the more for me  :yum:

found on allotments 4all forum:
mint cordial: This makes roughly 1.5 litres.

300g fresh mint, washed, which is basically several big bunches
1 litre of water
1.2kg sugar(Yes you can reduce or increase quantities proportionally).

Chop up the stems of mint roughly and bruise it.
Boil the water and pour over the mint in a bowl, and steep the mint in the water for 24 hours, covered.
The next day, wring out the mint getting all the drops of juice out.
Dissolve the sugar into it then boil for 2-3 minutes.
Cool and bottle.

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:28 pm »
This is the first year that I have cooked it - one I tried last year was to chop the leaves and then cover in syrup, and leave for a few months to allow the two to blend. This was very good, and I may do that again with some fresh leaves, but I think we've got roast lamb this coming Sunday and didn't want to buy any!

I'll let you know if it tastes any good!  ;)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:28 am »
I usually heat vinegar and sugar and then drop the chopped mint in off the heat.  I think if you cook it it makes the mint turn brown.  Also, would boil the goodness out of the mint.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:17 am »
IF you are lucky enough to have a crab apple tree handy then use the fruit to make the basic jelly , add the chopped mint  before it sets ,

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »
IF you are lucky enough to have a crab apple tree handy then use the fruit to make the basic jelly , add the chopped mint  before it sets ,

Oooh, I like that idea - added chilli to my last batch, but mint in sounds nice!

Got a good crop of crabs this year - so a task for one wet Sunday afternoon!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
I made a batch yesterday, the boil sugar and vinegar, take off heat, add chopped mint and bring back to boil and take off heat straight away method. Does not turn the mint brown just a dark green.
My dad used to chop mint 'into' the sugar and add a little white vinegar to make an instant mint sauce for use straight away.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS