Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS Boar for Hire  (Read 2399 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
GOS Boar for Hire
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »
Hi everyone, my sow is coming up to 10 months now and she has been with my young bore "Bob" who is nearly 11 months old for about 3 weeks now, can someone tell me if he will come up with the goods being so young or would it be best to hire a boar if so I live in somerset should any1 have GOS boar for hire.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: GOS Boar for Hire
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »
At 11 months he should be working OK.  Since your gilt has been with him has she come into season and been served by Bob?

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:31:15 pm »
Bob has tried to cover her though she keeps walking away does that mean she not in season yet?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:55 am »
If you need a boar to hire check the GOS website, theres a list of boars whose owners are prepared to hire or take in your sow but at 11mths you boar should be well capable of doing the deed.
www.oldspots.org.uk
If your girl isn't interested it may the fact that he's already got her in pig, is she still coming into season? Girl pigs come into season roughly every 20 days so if he went in when she was in season he may have caught her first time which why 3 weeks (20 days) later she's not interested. You'll know if she's coming into season as he will chase her madly, her tush will be very pink and if you scratch her back she'll squeal in delight! ;D
If you don't know this i suggest you get a good pig book to explain things and help you understand what will be involved at farrowing. Try Carol Harris A Guide to traditional pig keeping or Richard Lutwyche's little pink national trust book, both very good.
HTH Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS