Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just bought a Kubota  (Read 3671 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Just bought a Kubota
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:22:27 pm »
I've just bought a lovely old kubota for our community farm - its a grey market L1501. Needed jump starting to get it onto the trailer but back home I've charged the battery and it starts first time now! I got it at Cheffins agricultural machinery auctions at Sutton, Cambs - just up the road - and was very pleased with the choice, quality and prices there. I'll be going back for a rotavator and topper next month.

But, my question is - as a fairly amateur mechanic and totally novice tractor owner - does anyone have some advice for where I should start on giving the dear old thing a bit of a service prior to putting her down to some hard work?

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
Re: Just bought a Kubota
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:46:46 pm »
It would be advisable to change the engine oil and filter, along with diesel and air filter

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:56:34 pm »
Theres usually an old boy happy to work on a simple tractor hanging around lots of places, often its the dad of someone you use for something like car repair, fencing etc!

If not youtube has quite a lot of useful short videos (I never thought of looking there til someone told me!)
eg for kubota servicing
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kubota%2Bservicing&aq=f

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:15:22 am »

Dump the oil and filters and replace with new. Old oil can be very nasty stuff.

Worth draining the cooling system and refilling, too, with fresh antifreeze.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS