Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cucumber comparison  (Read 22222 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Cucumber comparison
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 08:57:53 am »
I'm not lucky enough to have my polytunnel set up (got the frame up, but no cover yet) but do you think having a horticultural grow light in there would make any difference to the crops when we do finally get round to growing in it ?
I'm just thinking ahead and wondering if it's worth running a cable out for an outside plug ? We're putting in a new power supply to our pig shed anyway, so it wouldn't be a big job - but would it be worth it do you think ?
Karen x

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:17 am »
 :wave: Grow lights cover only a small area so not suitable for general use in a tunnel - unless you are going in for something POTty  :D  I use a grow light in spring over a table with young plants on, about 1m by 60cms which is about the max area the light will cover.  It is well worth using one at this stage.  Mine is in my bedroom  :D :D
Having said that, I always wish we had run a cable up to the tunnel at the start but now it would be too complicated.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 10:27:21 am »
Definately not going POTty  ;) ;D ;D ;D
But I saw the grow lights in one of the gardening cataloges and thought they looked a good idea. Think I'll budget for putting power to the tunnel though (might as well do it while we're doing the other stuff) you never know when it might come in handy ? We might even end up with chicks in there so the facilities to run a heat light would be good.
Thanks Juliet x

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »
hows the cucumber doing suzieq??

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »
Oh well - as you predicted, the one that we "potted on" into the grow bag finally found it's feet and we have had at least four big cucs off it so far with a couple more babies on the way when i last looked. The one in the pot has floundered after producing one cuc. It looks absurdly pot bound now - I just hadn't appreciated how big they would get.

I think the light situation isn't very good for them at all. Next year in the new polytunnel I am going to plant seeds directly into upturned gro-bags so there will be no risk of root shock. We will be using reclaimed peat compost  - a friend can get bulk discounts. I won't put them "behind" the toms as I did last year. We'll probably only grow on plant in a good position as I think that will probably supply all our cucumber needs!!

The cucs themselves have been fantastic. Not nearly as "wet" as shop bought ones and keep MUCH longer.

Thanks for all the advice  :)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

deepinthewoods

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »
i would still start them in pots, say 5 inch,then as the roots show thro the bottom,put them in the growbag. im glad it worked for you. ;D 8)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:03 am »
OK - thanks for all yr help with this DitW. Will report back next year!!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 08:51:09 am »
Ages ago I was advised by somebody on here (was it you Northfifeduckling?) to repot my cucumber into a grow-bag.

So I repotted one and left the other in its pot.

After a rocky start (Pic 1), the repotted one found its feet.

Here are the comparison photos......

So - an amazing difference.

Mind you - nothing compared with my friend's cucumber (Pic 4)
Well the one in the soil bed is doing really well, and the one in the pot  is having a difficult time.    The photos say  it all. 

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 11:50:13 pm »
just bumping this back up, as its time to sow cues!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 06:18:16 am »
We'll - I've already had a disaster with my cucumbers.

I have done all the seedlings in the polytunnel this year as we have no house at the moment!!! Of the four cucumber seeds we planted, two never came up and the other two have already succumbed to frost  :'( :'(

I have the gro-bags at the ready but I think I am going to have to admit defeat and get some plug plants this year.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 07:33:27 am »
We'll - I've already had a disaster with my cucumbers.

I have done all the seedlings in the polytunnel this year as we have no house at the moment!!! Of the four cucumber seeds we planted, two never came up and the other two have already succumbed to frost  :'( :'(

I have the gro-bags at the ready but I think I am going to have to admit defeat and get some plug plants this year.
me too! ::)
sown 7 seeds 3 came up, 2 became fed up with life due to the hot week we had followed by snow, 1 looks a bit dodgy and 1 left......... i've never met such a tempremental plant, although my cabbage in the polytunnel has bolted!!!!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 11:42:24 am »
its not too late to resow, have another go!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »
Good Gods!
I though everyone was doing blindingly with their veg, tomatoes ripening squashes etc om the go!
Took me till page 2 to realise it's a thread from last year :D ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42:11 pm »
Same here, I was feeling so proud that a few had actually germinated. Came on looking for advice on what to do with them.

AnnS

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 05:43:54 pm »
Well - I thought I would resurrect last years post about cucumbers and DitW's advice about putting them in gro-bags. So we've gone straight for gro-bags this year and they have started to "take" with little baby cukes behind the flowers.

A much healthier start  :D :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:17:17 pm by suziequeue »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS