Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age is too old to be sausages  (Read 2335 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
What age is too old to be sausages
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:06:09 pm »
This is probably a really daft question but is it Ok to send a sow to slaughter and be made into sausages or do they need to be much younger? I have only sent our weaners (obviously once big enough  :)) before and was just wondering if we could send our sow too when she stops breeding. Gosh I've just read that and it sounds terribly harsh  ???

robert waddell

Re: What age is too old to be sausages
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »
not a daft question at all         you will get a hell of a lot of sausages she could be 250-350 kilos    check and make sure your slaughter house can take that size of pig        if she is to fat trim it and render it down      makes good lard  or soap  :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »
The loin would also make really good, decent sized bacon  ;)
I don't think you sound harsh - sensible, realistic and planning ahead more like.
As Robert has said though, check which slaughter houses near you can deal with a large carcass and also factor in butchery charges for 200Kg plus of pork. If you're not doing it yourself, it could easily run to a couple of hundred pounds  :-\
HTH
Karen  :wave:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »
We butchered a 4 year old sow for someone recently.  Around 275kg of sausages and 20kg of bacon from her.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »
Someone whose father had kept pigs for years told me that the best bacon comes from a sow that's had a litter. Never actually tried it but there is often something in the old country wisdom.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS