Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nomadics American Indian Tipi  (Read 2175 times)

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
Nomadics American Indian Tipi
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »
Not your usual toy tent!

We set about building a wonderfull decking, largely motivated by my father in laws desire to see interesting 'things' around his own farm...........well you have to keep up dont you?!!!

Sadly he passed away this year and we never really had the impetus to use the tipi afterwards, he never got to see it erected, and you know what kids are like?  The requests of can we sleep in the tipi didnt last long.  The Indian ceremony of blessing the home has not even been performed and the insence sticks provided by Nomadics in the States as yet unlit!

The build.............and happy helper, we have a 'BOOK' of instructions, but luckily my friend has 'previous'!

Finally you get this!

All of the poles come from sustainable sources within the UK, and are weathered nicely after 5 months 'up'!

This tipi is Americas finest, hand built by Nomadics, they use the finest 22 ounce Army duck, flame and water retardent canvas.  The tipi has a vast internal liner, and ozan designed to keep you cozy!  We havd a large fire pit in the middle which has only been test run.  The native Americans certainly knew how to design a living space, and being 22 ft in size you can sleep at least 10 people in absolute luxury (well tent luxury).  If you wanted to use the area as day space then at least 15 -20 people could be seated inside in 'slobby' style! :D  An absolutely perfect chill out space, and a place to re-connect with nature spiritualy for sure.

I am not saying that U.K. tipi's are inferior but check out the specifications of materials etc, and I am sure you will get the point.  The Americans sure do build the best.

The tipi is hand painted on the outside to represent phases of the moon, mountains, and huge horses and buffalo adorn the sides.  The Shamen on the internal liner is huge, and fends of any negative vibes.

The fire pit could be buried in the ground, or if you erected the tipi on a purpose built deck like we did, mounted above ground for safety.

All you need is to cover the massive ground sheet with your own matting, and make it homely, and prepare to enjoy the real deal of Tipi's.

The tipi cost us with import tax in the region of £5000, and the poles were £600 or so.  If anyone is genuinly interested a deal could be done I'm sure, I just cant justify keeping at as a wondefull piece of garden art any longer.  Someone will love this, and the books  fragrant stick and all the gubbins will come with it.

You can come and view it 'up', and for a fee my buddy will doubtless help with the dismantling and maybe re-erection for you.  It is a very weatherproof thing and designed to withstand extreme weathers, it is unspoiled in anyway!

A lovley thing indeed.

Regards
Jas

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Nomadics American Indian Tipi
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:50:03 pm »
Wow, it looks amazing   :) :) :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:23:50 pm »
For the want of a better word   WOW!!!!!!! THat is spectacular, so love it but not in our back garden, the locals natives would be hostile, just up my street though, if only  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:26:22 pm »
That is stunning. Very "Dances with wolves"  :)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:57:23 am »
Oh wow, I'd love that in my back field to run workshops in but not in that league financially or in terms of putting it up not to mention the slope ::)

I was looking into belltents for similar purpose, at about £500 and even that's not feasible just yet as the flood, vet bill and such need sorted first :(

Hope you find it a lovely home, it's stunning :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:03:07 am »
I have to agree I've seen it and it is totally awesome. I wish I could a) afford it and b) get away with putting it up in the field. My neighbours would raise a posse if we did, not to mention the council.
Jason - thanks again re fridge will be in touch soon.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:44:04 pm »
Hi we have our own, but have a difficulty getting the poles - any help/thoughts appreciated

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS