Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daft question from newbie  (Read 4839 times)

DavidnChris

Daft question from newbie
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »
javascript:void(0); Hi,
we're just about to buy two saddleback weaners to fatten, I've applied for a CPH number,  I've found an abattoir and a butcher and scratched my head to remember all I can from 40 yrs ago when I worked on a pig farm as a boy.
I can't see my way clear to spending a lot of money on a pig arc and I've the chance of some corrugated sheets.
So can anyone tell me if I put four corner posts in the ground and some rails to form the frame, cover it with the sheets will that be ok. Or do I need to put a floor in. I've sourced some bails of straw for bedding so obviously that would go in.

Thanks,
Please feel free to give me any other pointers.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Daft question from newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:45:45 pm »
Draft free,waterproof and if it's not sited on marshland,no need for a floor,although a pallet might be beneficial.If it's going to be a permanent thing,then I'd pour concrete in with a slope towards the door (south-facing). If it's not going to be permanent,then I'd join the posts with rails at ground level and only sink the posts in 6 inches,then you can move it to another spot as and when needed.... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »
Wants to be quite strong, my pigs absoloutely destroy anything not bomb proof. make sure there is no give in it, or they will demolish it scratching themselves. strong wood, coach bolts and good design will help use the corrugated. after my current lot I am going to make a concrete base to put the arc on and the troughs. They recreate the somme most weekdays, and glastonbury at the weekend. :pig: :pig: :pig: ???

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:54 pm »
I build my own - http://www.macneanfarm.com/Pig_Ark.pdf . Although for a temporary structure I would lay three pallets of the floor (in a line) making sure that there are no gaps (typically lift off the planking, shuffle along and add another plank or two). Next sink in five fence posts, four corners and one for the doorway (adjacent to one corner). The fence posts would be three pallets length apart on the backwall and one pallet across. On the front the posts would be two and a half pallets apart. Then obviously three pallets for the back wall, one each for the sides and two and a half on the front. So in total you would need ten and half pallets.
Make the front higher than the back with the odd block of wood and then put on a sloping corrugated roof.(obviously with a form of a beam over the front entrance). To stop any draughts coming through the sides either clad in old corrugate or tack plastic feed bags to the inside of the pallets. Across the front door you could hang a bit of old carpet.
To keep the walls strong either strap the pallets together with strong rope, bits of wood or indeed sit the pallets over a fence post already driven into the ground.

Clear as mud !

Cheers

Gavin

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:00:34 am »
In desperate situations we have used straw bales, banged posts into the ground on either side to keep them in place, actually tied the roof on.  Worked wonderfully except for one small pig who used the whole thing as a hammock.  (It was a hot summer). 

So far we have found floors to be superfluous, HIlary actually ripped hers out.  Then thats Hilary.

DavidnChris

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:56:00 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. If I spend too much time making one that won't go down well,
I think I'm going to have to buy one and hope that CO doesn't find out how much it cost !!javascript:void(0);

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:51 am »
A lot of farmers are moving away from free range over here in Ireland (bit of a shame really). The up side for me is that pig arcs are readily available. If you enquire in your local farming community you might be able to pick up an arc for pennies (or free if you're lucky), at most you might have to replace the plywood at the front and back, and that's not a mamouth task. Good luck!  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:16:27 pm »
bit off topic, but sausage and cash, every time I read your postings, I develop a longing for fried sausage and mashed potato.  Off now to get the pan on. ;D

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:17 pm »
lol  ;D  :farmer:

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:46:10 pm »
A decent arc, properly looked after, should last long enough to make the cash outlay worthwhile. Sometimes it's worth getting decent gear.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:53:33 am »
we made a temp one out of fork lift pallets,stakes in each corner and plastic sheet roof, tammy was perfectly happy in it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS