Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My best year for figs  (Read 2705 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
My best year for figs
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:36:05 am »
Title says it all...the cold start to the year held the early fig back (brown turkey) so that when it did get going that whole first flush of buds went on to mature. Most years it gets going to early and then hit by late frosts.
It's followed on by giving me a flush of second buds=>fruit too.

Fresh figs from the tree - superb. The size of small apples... and they go well stewed with the early apple windfalls..the rest of the apples got made to strudel.

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: My best year for figs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
Glad someone is getting figs this year,i had quite a few last year not over big but sweet and tasty,my pot planted fig tree produced fruit this year(4) but have vanished just loads of figlets left :'(

cookie

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »
i had figs, 5 of them for the first time this year and they were scrummy.  Have had the tree for about 3 years and was going to give up with it but don't think I will now.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:05:59 am by Dan »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:47:24 pm »
If it's a 3 tree from a small plant then it's only just coming into fruiting well.
As you know they do best in poor soil or with root restriction..fig pit or perhaps one of those new root bags. They also take cuttings easily..best about february but almost any time of year. Easy to root in water on the kitchen windowsill..or just stick them in a pot of soil for simplicity and a bit lower rooting success.

They can do with some help through late frosts unless against a sunny wall.. some fleece over early fruits perhaps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS