Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kid with scours - now two kids :-(  (Read 6174 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Kid with scours - now two kids :-(
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »
I've got a wether kid (Baby Black, see i tried not to name him and it happened anyway) with scours - and I suspect layers pellets on Tues. It will be small amounts if it was, everyone else, including his brother, are ok.

I've hidden all chicken food, he seems quite bright and keen to eat and drink, but is producing a mixture of soft pellets and completely runny green which went on all day yesterday and today.

What can I give him to help? I gave him two 'probiotic' human capsules this morning, in the absence of yoghurt. Not sure they've made any difference  :P

It caught up with me (and Baby Black) soon as I talked about it in the other thread  :-\

What can I do to stop the scours?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:29:50 pm by jaykay »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Kid with scours - probably from layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »
Kaoline (with morphine) from Boots. They will lick it off your syringe. Only hay and water. If need to rehydrate - get some powders from the vet, or Rehydion (also from vet), or make home-made solution (not always liked). Is he off milk by now? If yes, just take it steady for a couple of days.

Our wethers are always called Billyboy (even though he hasn't got any billy bits anymore) and this year we had Billy2 as well. Both should have been for the freezer, but someone wanted to buy them... they will get named at their new place!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:36 pm »
OK, we used to give our GSD, who had a very sensitive gut, kaolin and morphine. Didn't think of that (or know if it was ok for goats). Right, will go into town tomorrow and get some. Thank you :)

He's actually not completely weaned, I don't think they get much but they do have a 'comfort suck' still. Wonder if he's better off getting that than being kept away from mum which i think he'd find stressful (and so would she, and shout!)

Baby Black and Baby Brown are supposedly for the freezer but I don't think I shall be eating them - they turn into far more of pets than the tup lambs  :-\ Not really babies anymore, might have to be upgraded to Little Black and Little Brown  :D

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:27 am »
Kaoline (with morphine) from Boots.

I tried to buy this recently and was told it is no longer available as it is open to abuse
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:41:14 am »
Yes it is sold by Boots ... they produce their own brand,  bought some yesterday !!  200ml bottle.

Tell them it is for animal use.    Lloyds chemists also sell it.

IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED FROM SALE.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:20:18 am »
must be in in our area i have tried everywhere, but that doesn't surprise me i cant buy citric acid and a whole lot of other stuff either
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:24 am »
Well he's reasonably bright still this morning but still scouring  :-\

I tried him with some sugar water, with a pinch of salt in, in a bottle. Hmmmm. Having heaved him onto my knee so he couldn't run away, I got the teat into his mouth but he just clamped his teeth on it. Did all the usual teat pulling/wriggling so some ran out - I guess he got a bit of it  :D

The vets is actually closer (15 mins) than any Boots or Lloyds (45-60mins) so I'll start there, try the independent chemist in the same little town for kaolin and morphine (sounds like a useful thing to have in stock) and head for the bigger town if no joy.

It's raining again  :P

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:14:02 am »
Ok, the vet gave me a metacam injection in lieu of the morphine, and a sweet kaolin drench. He has to have 20ml every day for three days. He took it quite well, though had to wriggle and spit a bit out, just for form  ;)
Fingers crossed he'll be ok soon.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »
Little Black still not right and now Little Brown's got soft poo  :P Well that's not layers pellets cos they've had no possible access at all to them since Little Black got ill.

So to the vets for Baycox in the morning.

Shouldn't be worms, they were all done with ivermectin 3 weeks ago.

Little Black should be re-christened Little Grey at the moment, since he is covered in kaolin (as are my overtrousers  :D)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:37 pm »
The vet gave me norodine injection which they have to have 3 times, every other day. Done the first jag today, to much yelling  :-[

Guess I'd better keep up with the probiotic capsules?

He said cocci can do permanent damage to their guts  :-\

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Kid with scours - now two kids :-(
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:15:51 am »
A number od Veterinary practices are reporting a high rise in cocci this year across cattle,& sheep..... must be something to do with the rather odd weather patterns.

Any gut problem can cause damage.... cocci usually manifests itself  as dead kids around 3-4months old.  If you have have only got soft faeces it is highly treatable with one dose of Baycox/Vecoxan.

Most goat owners these days follow a regime of treating the whole herd once or twice a year  because once Cocci has arrived on your land,  it is there permanently !!

When you give the dose, the animals concerned have to be kept in for at least 14 days  and the bedding burnt.  This is to try and break up the cycle of re infection.

Your Vet should be able to determine from a faeces sample if indeed it is Cocci.... that will at least put your mind at rest.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12:43 am »
Little Black is mending, he's back to soft pew let's. Little Brown has the squits and is feeling a bit rough I think. I'm sure the extremely damp, warm conditions haven't helped  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 07:43:25 am »
Have you had a stool sample go off with the vet? I panicked about cocci with savannah a couple of months ago but stool sample came back showing that she just had a higher worm count than expected after her worm treatment but clear for all nasties.  worth it if you can catch some in a jar to get it checked for sure x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:23 am »
My vets view was that cocci is everywhere, the stool sample will show it therefore, if the treatment works, that's what was troubling them, if not we'll do a stool sample.
Little Black is definitely improving, managed to bite me when i gave him his probiotic capsule  ::) Little Brown still has the squits but is a few days behind the other one so hopefully will mend soon.

Local chemist doesn't sell kaolin with morphine, just kaolin with sodium bicarb. so will go and give L.Brown some of that in a minute.

I think this soggy weather is really not helping, I've got a goose wheezing today too, been to the vet for stuff for her as well. Please could it dry out and we get some sun, to kill off all the bugs, it's pouring with rain again today and everything is just soggy and muddy  :P
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:11:19 am by jaykay »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:44:13 am »
Yes it's about a weeks delay in between goat No 1 getting it, then getting better and then goat No2 (and possible No 1 again if his immunity isn't improved yet) will get it. Had it this year too, but only on the boys.... girls in pen next to them were absolutely fine...

I agree that a test for cocci is probably not going to help at this stage. Mine didn't get done, and they were better in no time!

I used Intradine injections - very good and quick, plus kaoline/morphine (which they LICKED off the syringe/drencher) and milk with Rehydion in it (mine were still on milk, but about 2 -3 months old at the time). No concentrate, just hay/straw mixture, no greenery either for a few days afterwards.

They should improve soon, but you know when boys/men are ill the are VERY ill.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS