Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feral children in the US and UK...this article says it all  (Read 14021 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
Feral children in the US and UK...this article says it all
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:30:47 pm »
Read this if you have the guts to face the truth!  We need to know where we are in order to get back on the right track.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2024284/UK-riots-2011-Liberal-dogma-spawned-generation-brutalised-youths.html

I hope I did that correctly.

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Feral children in the US and UK...this article says it all
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:52 pm »
I holeheartedly concur with this article. it makes me really mad!!!.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »
I opened the link with trepidation - another Daily Mail rant. But actually, the article rings true (regretably). So that's where we are. That bit is reasonably easy. The hard bit is what to do about it. I've just finished a series of historical novels, and I think the article is correct - what we've seen in the last few days is a repeat of similar actions over centuries. The peasants are revolting against their masters. Except now they don't starve to death, get typhoid, get hung or transported. In one of the novels, set in the 1850s, the "masters" are debating ways of improving the lot of the "peasants" - some want to introduce better housing, better health care, unemployment and sickness benefit. Others see this as a dangerous removal of the working man's responsibility to look after his family and therefore making him dependent and taking away his pride. Ho, hum, so here we are.

I know some folk have said send them to Afghanistan - bit of a knee jerk - but it would deplete the Taliban's ammunition stocks, for sure. But maybe National Service would be a good thing - for ALL young people, not just those deemed to be ruffians. They would learn self discipline, maybe get some eductaion and maybe actually enjoy learning and get a bit of self pride. There would be more social mixing so less of an underclass - if you are in uniform, you're all the same - no designer trainers, so it doesn't matter where you came from or how much dosh your folks have, you're all in it together. Just a thought  ;D

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »
Anyone leaving school without enough education to get a job and be a worthwhile member of their community should go into a' training camp' run by the military.

Get them off benefits,drugs,booze and stealing whatever they want and into a life where they have to get up in the morning and work all day like normal people do.

Roll this idea out for older jobless and unemployable.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »
The fix must start with the traditional family. 

What has changed over the centuries?  There's always been the haves and the have nots.  There's always been cycles of joblessness.  Etc...   

Society is concentric circles radiating out and the family is the intermost circle.  It is what civilizes (or not) the children and polices its own ranks (Anytime my two left the house they were told, "remember, you represent the insert last name family").   

The outermost circles are not equipped to deal with the individual.  And when we think the "experts" can do better than than the family (no matter how well intentioned) we end up where we are today.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:37:56 pm »
then explain why one of the first in court was the child of millioniares. it appears that a reasonable number of rioters are not from your typical broken home. ps yankie girl the mail is a right wing news paper it operates on the right of the tory party.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:01:54 pm »
There is a lot of truth in that article, albeit couched in right wing scaremongering.  The portrayal of these "deprived" kids as animals is supposed to instill fear of them in us and, I suspect, allow us to treat them as less than human.
As usual Max Hastings supplies no answers to any of the problems he highlights.

What can we (not them, we) do? These are the parents of the next generation, and that too is a scary thought. What kind of parents are they going to make? How do we stop this being a self perpetuating cycle?

I certainly think that, although it starts in the home, school is the first chance "society" gets to affect the lives of most children and dicipline in school is something we must have back at all costs.  We also need to address the fact that there are not (and never will be) jobs available for a lot of these young people. Why can't work be found for them whereby they have to work for their benefit payments? If they don't complete their quota, no payment. Maybe some of them would then start to think that if they're going to have to work anyway they may as well try to find paid work.
Where are the politicians saying this sort of thing?  We hear talk of clamping down, of curfews, of police presence on the streets, but nothing of a real solution
I have little or no time for any political party, they're all out for themselves, but for goodness sake, surely one of them can come up with some solutions.
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:15:37 pm »
then explain why one of the first in court was the child of millioniares. it appears that a reasonable number of rioters are not from your typical broken home.

The animalism is not a function of economic class.   

Rich are pumping out kids then hoping someone else civilizes their spawn.  These kids are just "cleaner" looking animals.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:42 pm »
then explain why one of the first in court was the child of millioniares. it appears that a reasonable number of rioters are not from your typical broken home. ps yankie girl the mail is a right wing news paper it operates on the right of the tory party.

Slightly right of Attila the Hun, I think  ;D

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »
What does "to the right" mean over there.  What does your "right" advocate that you disagree with?

Here, I am Tea Party right.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »
Well, the Mail is verging on Facism!
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 04:33:49 pm »
We no longer have the extended family.
  Where ( rarely now ) there are two parents in the household they are probably both working , so we end up with latch key kids. We no longer have Gran living in the same street to run to, we used to have uncles and aunts round the corner we could turn to, or even go to the neighbour next door if mum was out. Now they don't even live in the same town and the neighbours don't want to know you.
 Councils used to have truant officers walking the towns to make sure kids were in school, I got stopped by one once because I was being taken to the dentist by my mother, we had to prove to him that we had an appointment.  You respected teachers , you got caned (or the torse ) if you misbehaved in class.
 Now successive social ' reformers ' have given kids ' Rights '  tied the hands of the Police with red tape , taken away the teachers power over their students. and told us this will make a better world...yeah right... If you say so.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »
Well, the Mail is verging on Facism!

Thanks, good to know.

Now can we deal with the substance of the article. :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »
Let me take a moment to explain to Yankygirl what we meen by right wing. starting on the Left: Trotsky, Lennin, any trade union leader , Ken Livingston, then in the middle ground you have the liberal party and other great roaring poufters, then moving to the right we have Hitler, Attila the Hun, the KKK, then Maggie Thatcher, Poll Pot, Then way over there if you have a good pair of Binoculars or the hubble telescope you might get a fleeting glimpse of me .

deepinthewoods

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »
for someone with an iq of 167, your spelling is awful! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS