Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dilemma  (Read 1842 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
dilemma
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:21 am »
Currently I have 1 broody hen sitting on a duck egg and a broody duck on a few eggs - both are about to hatch at the same time. Provided anything comes to something and I am faster than the sparowhawk - who am I to move into the safe house - I only have one !) after hatching? can I add that single duckling to the others once they are born? or the other way round? I can not move any of them earlier as the ducks never take to it and even the hen abandoned the eggs last time I tried to move her.  ::) :&>

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »
Presuming that the broody duck is on duck eggs you can probably add the other single one to her brood. I'd do it in the evening so hopefully it will spend the night under her and pop out with the others in the morning. It is more likely to work if the single is the same colour as one of the others. Even if you don't add the single to the other brood I'd still move the bigger brood to the 'safehouse'.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
well, I was thinking of after the hatch as no way I can get near the duck without her panicking...so shy  . And yes, all eggs are from tthe same batch.
:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:59:41 pm »
If they are all from the same batch how come a hen got one?  Did I miss a thread?  ;D ;D ;D  I'd agree - add the singelton to the others at night once you have transported momma duck and babies to the safe house.  Don't do it too soon though, wait 24 hours to make sure they are settled and well, and the only problem I can see is that mother hen is going to be b---dy annoyed! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:42 pm »
well, long story  ;D I have one very persitent broody hen and after I had to chuck out the first lot of duck eggs as they went over time I thought Igive her a neatly labelled egg from a new batch we had just found. Then I went away to see my mum and when I came back OH said that the duck's been stting day and night on the rest - he just didn't do a head count, I bet  ::) and remembered her after a few days :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS