Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any one familiar wit "Kerry Bacon cure 2x"?  (Read 2188 times)

conman

• Joined Jul 2010
any one familiar wit "Kerry Bacon cure 2x"?
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:56 pm »
Hi guys i took my fella for his last spin yesterday lifted him this morning had a mate cut all up this eve and am planning on curing tomorrow some wet and some dry (unless told otherwise)

I have 25kg of salt and 25kg of "Kerry Bacon Cure 2x" but from what i can find about the bacon cure it is recomended for injection curing but its basically nitrite salt with cured colour improver they mention that "Vitaphos Soluble phosphate 140" is optional what does it do?

what im wondering should i just treat the bacon cure as normal nitrite salt and follow the guide here or does the 2X mean twice the strength?
what is the phosphate for? what does it do? i dont have it but could get it if needed

heres a link to the fact sheet for the bacon cure (only thing i could find about it) hope its ok to put it up if not sorry!

http://www.lucas-ingredients.co.uk/tbulls_curing_pdfs/H02-BaconCure2X-38399.pdf

conman

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: any one familiar wit "Kerry Bacon cure 2x"?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »
so i guess thats a no then
well i have most of my curing done left a sholder and a ham and half a side of loin (put half of each loin in to chops) for wet curing and am just waiting on my brine to cool i just used the bacon cure as saltpetre and followed the instructions here so hopefully it'll work out ok
whats the recomendations on storage after the curing has finished is it just fridge or freezer? i did see a belly that had been smoked hanging in a fella's kitchen once and he had it hanging there for a few months but it was very tough meat the whole way through but it tasted good

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS