Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: parrot jaw  (Read 2616 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
parrot jaw
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:39:23 am »
We have been lucky so far and had no deformities in our lambs, but we just noticed that a ram lamb who was failing to thrive has a parrot jaw - ie the lower jaw is seriously undershot, at least an inch shorter than the top jaw.  Has anyone seen this?  The dilema is - will he ever grow big enough to go in the freezer or should we call the knacker now?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: parrot jaw
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:26:11 am »
I think its fine that way round as the lower jaw still hits the palate, we had one last year the other way round where the lower jaw extended beyond the upper jaw.She had to be put to sleep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:35:09 am »
We had one like this in the past too. He perhaps didn't grow quite as fast as the others but he got to butchers weight - from recollection perhaps as fast as the third triplet which we also had to hold into for a bit longer.

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:44 am »
If he is failing to thrive now, the chances are he is not going to do. 

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:21:20 pm »
It's caused by a genetic reccesive disorder, often see it in blackface and cheviots. It affects both sexes in equal proportion. Not so common in the more improved low ground breeds. Try not to breed from the beast if you can for then it gets past on into the next generations to show again. The lamb won't 'do' as well as some of the others but it shouldn't be fatal unless it's kept on very short grass alone. I'd be looking to fatten it with a bit of corn for there will be nothing wrong with its molars so it can still cud so long as it can food into itself. Might take a wee bit longer to fatten but better that than a dead loss.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:06:26 pm »
That's interesting Dougal. I had it in a Rough Fell but from a ewe with very low, wide horns whom i always suspected had a bit of Blackface in her.
Remembering more, I had to bottle feed ours because he didn't suck well and his mum didn't like him after a bit. He seemed to be able to eat grass (ours is far from short or sweet  ::))

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »
Thank you every one - that's encouraging.  We'll give him the chance and monitor closely.  Coming off his dam at the weekend (wondering if she had stopped feeding him early) and no chance of breeding from him.  We have plenty of grass and he can have hay too.  He's from a bought-in Hebridean ewe but I've not heard that the flock she came from has a known problem and we have never had it here before. All part of the learning curve  :)  I'll let you know how he does  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »
Good to see you FW.  :wave:

Swaledales can get overshot lower jaws, Blue-faced Leicesters too, but I had not been not aware of undershot jaws being a problem.  It makes sense he could eat hay ok, provided his molars line up at least for some of the way!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS