Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help with chosing sheep dog  (Read 15018 times)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: help with chosing sheep dog
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:24 am »
my pup is doing great here , he is with me most of the time depending on what im doing and he his learning well im lucky as i have a dog trainer neer me who has given me lots of advice , he is a quick learner , he has meet the sheep only due to the fact that they are most days in the back by the door flipping things just cant seem to keep them in there own field think they think they should live in the house as well , but he was realy good and just sat by my side until i put him and the other dog back in doors , he does recall and sits we are now working on liedown , and i know a collie will a instint in working as i had a cross breed when i was younger it was a collie cross dalmation and he would round any thing and everything up also realy hard work as we lived in a town,he has now met all the animals we have here and the only proplem i have with him is with one of the cats he seems to not like him very strange , he sits and watches the pigs and is very good around the ponys he walks throw the birds well and dosnt chase any of them im always on the look out for advice which i get from some local farmers and i never turn any down even if they tell me im doing something wrong as we are all human and make mistakes .

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 01:01:49 pm »
Glad you're enjoying your pup - pics?

We have two collies - Meg is from working parents and Tess was sired by the Devil  ::) - neither work but they are great pets and enjoy pretending to be roughty toughty farm dogs. They're 11 now, though, and I don't think we'll be having collies next time.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
cant seem to get my pics small enough , he is doing well and was a realy good boy today as i was moving 7 pigs on to there winter area and my mum forgot he was meent to be in doors but he just sat out of the way while i spent the last 3 hours trying to move these pigs lol

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 03:21:22 pm »
The more you have him with you the better it will be for him

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »
i do try keep him with me but i didnt want him chasing the pigs which was why he was meent to be in doors , he just showed me he was good boy and just watched me trying to get pigs to move past where there electric fence was he stayed out all the time and didnt bother with them or the ponys when they came to see why there was pigs going past there water , think they thought it was feed for them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS