Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swollen Sheath  (Read 2376 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Swollen Sheath
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »
My little fellow's sheath seems to be a bit swollen today. The end of his urethra is also looking enlarged and protruding slightly. Flies are pestering a bit, and suspect that he probably has a bit of an infection of some sort.

Is this a self treat scenario, in which case some advice would be good, or is it a vet job?

He seems well enough in himself.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Swollen Sheath
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:24:42 pm »
I would say a vet job as the flies probably won't allow any infection to clear up and will keep it going. Also it's not a very nice place to be uncomfy for him :-))

Is he weeing ok?

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:26:53 pm »
Does he need a wash? if not he might just need a gentle clean or has he been washed lately? if so he might have been cleaned too much - these horse like to keep us on our toes, if it's not looking any better by tomorrow I would give the vets a ring and see what they advise

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:01 am »
There was a discussion on my equine forum about Arnica, and one member posted that she treated her gelding with it for his swollen sheath. Not sure if it was the gel form, or tablet, as she referred to both.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:43:16 am »
Get the vet, better to have it checked out rather than end up with a long term infection that could affect the kidneys.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »
Had the vet out a few days ago . He said it seem to be some sort of infection. Course of antibiotics and anti-inflamatories.

Seems to be improving now.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:42:22 pm »
Oh thats great! (not about him having an infection but about him being treated and getting better). Im sure he's very grateful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS