Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tree identifications?  (Read 2291 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
tree identifications?
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
Hi does anyone have the knowledge or know where to get it to identify different varieties for the types of fruit trees? I do not mean the obvious this is an apple that is a plum  ;D ;D I mean the varieties. We have some very old apple, plum, gauge trees in our garden and I would like to know what they are? I have been told that one is the 'Dunster damson' but it looks and tastes like a regular Victoria plum to me. I have not got much of a clue when it comes to the taste varieties of plums or much for apples. Also how do you tell the difference between a gauge and a plum - is it colour? We live in the West country so some maybe cider apples but all taste quite sweet. I could upload photos but would prefer not to have the hassle if no one can help and also if someone can would need to know what you need to see.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: tree identifications?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »
We will have a dedicated identification board on the new site.

Post some photos of tree, leaf, bark and fruit (and flower if you have them) and someone might know.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »
Try Brogdale - they have a huge apple collection and I'm sure will have folk who can ID.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:54 am »
I would say Brogdale as well for anything that can't be identified on here.  They are very helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS