Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb Shanks in Succulent Plum Sauce  (Read 4667 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Lamb Shanks in Succulent Plum Sauce
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:24:28 pm »
Just cooking this for our Sunday dinner, thought I'd share as it smells gorgeous!!  :)

Lamb Shanks in Succulent Plum Sauce
Serves 4 – 8 depending on if you want 1 or 2 lamb shanks per person

Ingredients

2tbs plain flour
8 lamb shanks
4tbs olive oil
2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
1tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2tbs worcestershire sauce
1 cup plum jam
1kg whole canned plums including can juices
2 heaped tablespoons corn flour
mashes potato to serve
Method

Preheat oven to 200c (400f). Place flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, add lamb shanks and toss to coat. Heat 2tbs oil in a large frypan over high heat. Cook shanks, turning, in batches, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
Reduce heat to medium-high. Heat remaining oil in frypan. Add onion, rosemary and thyme. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add wine. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in stock, worcestershire sauce,  jam and canned plums with juices. Season with pepper. Bring to the boil then add to casserole dish with the lamb shanks. Cover and transfer to oven.
Bake for 2 hours. Remove lid and baste shanks. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until meat is tender and falling from the bone.
Take casserole dish out of oven, remove the lamb shanks and transfer the plum sauce to a large heavy-based pot bring the sauce to boil and reduce down to half the volume. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole dish and cover to keep warm.
Place the corn flour in a small bowl and add enough water to make a smooth paste. Add to the boiling plum sauce continue cooking for a few more minutes until sauce has thickened, return the thickened sauce to the casserole dish with the lamb shanks. Serve with mashed potato.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mel

Re: Lamb Shanks in Succulent Plum Sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:10 pm »
Yummy! and we are having lamb on Sunday,made some wild plum jam yesterday so have to try it!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:51:47 am »
We found it a tiny bit 'sharp' so lots of tasting (because I forgot  ::)   ) as you might want to add some sweet stuff. it was nice though and the children liked it too.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:19 am »
I think I've tried most combinations of fruit and meat over the years, but never this.  It sounds yummy.  If only my plum trees would produce plums more than one year in five I'd try it with mutton.  Thanks for the idea.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:22:04 pm »
Can you use fresh pums? Or do you mean canned plums from last year preserved?

I really like this recipe but unfortunately our pluim harvest was fairly short this year and now they've al gone to the wasps and brown rot. We did get some lovely ones though and I have made plenty of plum jam.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:55:41 am »
I used fresh plums but I think canned ones might be even nicer!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS