Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausage-makers and cool boxes  (Read 4518 times)

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Sausage-makers and cool boxes
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:32 am »
Advice please.

We need cool boxes to transport meat back to our island from the abattoir in Kirkwall (hour-and-a-half on the ferry). Any recommendations?

We are also on the lookout for a suitable sausage-maker. We are hoping to start selling sausage by the end of the year, so a small commercial machine would be best.

In both cases, the choice is bewildering and there seems no logic to the pricing, so please help before I have to go and lie down in a darkened room.

Thanks,

Malc

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Sausage-makers and cool boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:37:17 pm »
Hi Malc

I owned various butcher shops and also owned a commercial sausage making business for a number of years,if you need any specific advice or would like some recipes

etc feel free to contact me.

The biggest factor to consider when buying sausage making machinery is capacity. too small will take too long to process, too large will  not be cost effective.

There are a number of second hand dealers who would probably have machines available that were in butcher shops. If you are making less than 20lb of sausage I would suggest a table top model, over 20lb I would look at a floor standing model with a hand crank. You do not need an electric powered machine unless you are making well over 50lb batches.

As regards transport you can buy a fridge box which you can plug into a car battery or use insulated boxes with ice packs . An Insulated box with an ice pack would probably suffice unless outside temperatures were reasonably high.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS