Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to let chicks in the with the main flock  (Read 2049 times)

swm

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Heanor
When to let chicks in the with the main flock
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:29:03 am »
Hi,

I have reared my fist set of chicks under two mothers (unfortunate accident). The 5 chicks and two hens have been living in an separate enclosed coop/run that is within the main run (made up of 100m of electric netting. The chicks are now 4 weeks old and growing well. At what point can they be allowed out to mingle with the other hens?

We have number of crows/magpies in the area and the occasional bird of prey but otherwise the area has been safe so far.

Any thought appreciated

Sam

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: When to let chicks in the with the main flock
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:53:04 am »
I like mine to be 8-10 weeks old (and so onto layers pellets) before I put them in with the rest. On the other hand, mine are usually incubator reared so have no mum to look after them.

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
Re: When to let chicks in the with the main flock
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:52:38 am »
I don't think it's unfortunate to have 2 mums!  I've done that twice with very good results.
Mine mixed with the flock from about 3wks.  The mum's didn't take them far to begin with - they just went round the perimeter of their own run.  Then gradually they took them further-now 8weeks they have the whole garden. 
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS