Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: warren cockerel  (Read 4984 times)

Ace

• Joined Jul 2011
warren cockerel
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:02 am »
right i have a few warrens and want to hatch a few eggs next year in my incubator,so i want  a
warren cockerel near south wales if possible thanks

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
Re: warren cockerel
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:51:08 am »
Like all commercial egg laying birds, the males are killed on hatching.

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:41:32 am »
I have 2 warren chicks that hatched yesterday, one male & one female, you're welcome to him in a few weeks if you'd like him. We're in Gower, Swansea btw.
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:19 am »
I have 2 warren chicks that hatched yesterday, one male & one female, you're welcome to him in a few weeks if you'd like him. We're in Gower, Swansea btw.

Where did you get your warren eggs from?

Warrens are a hybrid - if you do get a warren cockerel and mate him with your warren hens, you won't get warrens - you'll get some sort of mixture. Hybrids don't breed true.

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:54:25 am »

Where did you get your warren eggs from?

Warrens are a hybrid - if you do get a warren cockerel and mate him with your warren hens, you won't get warrens - you'll get some sort of mixture. Hybrids don't breed true.

Ah right, I was given hatching eggs by our local petting farm, they have what they are calling Warren cockerel and hens but I guess they aren't true Warrens then.
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS