Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: carding sheep !  (Read 6969 times)

doss93

• Joined Mar 2010
carding sheep !
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »
can any one help me with explaining how to make a sheep/lamp presentable for showing e.g bathing would using a pressure washer be okay what shampoo to use, how to use the carding combs ? any other advice would be greatly appreciated  :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: carding sheep !
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:56 pm »
What breed? Each breed has its own standard rules for showing, and then maybe the breed society would give you specific advice?

And no I would NOT use a pressure washer in any of my animals!!!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:29 pm »
OK I now have an image in my head of someone shampooing a sheep in the same way we wash our hair and all the wool felting. I suppose if you attach some handles you have an instance handbag :D.

I'm so sorry my head works in strange ways sometimes.

doss93

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:41 pm »
thank you for advice i say pressure washer because we use it on all the cows, they are zwabatles cross...

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:20:20 pm »
i know someone that pressure washes their clydesdales and apparently they love it!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »
Large plastic jugs are so useful.  But I still usually end up as wet as the sheep.

As for shampoo I used emerald black for the first time the other day on Jacobs and although scarey to put on over the white bits the end result was great.  Fairy liquid works though. 

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:51:43 am »
Hi   You can pressure wash them but be very careful and don't stand too close, also i would only do this if they were very dirty, we only use horse shampoo on bottoms, the rest of the body we use just cold water as you will strip all the natural oils from the fleece this can make the fleece even harder to card up. Do your washing at least a week before the show to allow the fleece time to recover. It also depends on what breed you have, our show hampshires are carded well then trimmed up to make them look bigger and tidy for the show ring....the more you card the bigger they can look but some judges can see through this so if your sheep looks good with just one carding ...i would leave it at that. good luck :sheep:
To use the carder push the hooks into the fleece and pull in a upwards motion so the wool fluffs up, done quickly is better than pulling slowly which can annoy the sheep. Our sheep stand quite still for this so maybe they like the sensation!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:18:06 am by feldar »

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:45:27 am »
What breed? Each breed has its own standard rules for showing, and then maybe the breed society would give you specific advice?

I totally agree with Anke and WG. For example if they were Portlands then they should/must be shown in 'their working clothes' and washing them would not be acceptable or appropriate.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:44 am »
Our sheep stand quite still for this

Lucky you! Ours go ballistic!

Show preparation depends so much on the breed, but also on the time of year and the amount of wool they have on them. Impossible to give hard a fsat rules. The best thing is to talk to other exhibitors and then to just experiment and see what works for you. Everyone has a slightly different way of doing these things.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS