Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinations query  (Read 5233 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Vaccinations query
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:25 pm »
Hi all,

I hepvac'd my girls at the end of August last year (two doses). Only two ewes lamb'd the 1st I didn't give hepvac to at 6 weeks as wasn't sure when she was due she had twin rams in April which have had both jabs - the 2nd I did hepvac and her lamb was covered as born with-in the 6 weeks (May).

My query is:- if they have to have hepvac on a yearly basis (I believe if they go over a year then two jabs are needed again) mine are due end of August do I then have to do it again 6 weeks before they lamb as well, (5 second timers and 3 shearlings, hopefully this time i get it right or rather hopefully the Tup will and they ALL lamb in Jan) it means they would be having 1 jab in Aug to comply with the yearly need and one in Dec/Jan or will the August one cover them until they lamb, would the lamb be covered?

Any help appreciated

You are never to old to learn something new

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Vaccinations query
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:25:43 pm »
You are quite right.

As I understand it, with Heptavac the recommended regime for breeding ewe lambs is :
  • double dose at 12 weeks / weaning or in the autumn to maintain immunity, then
  • annually until in lamb, then
  • 6 weeks before lambing and annually thereafter

Many farmers who do not breed them in their first year will skip the first autumn jab, double-dose first winter/spring, then it'll be annual boosters 6 weeks before lambing from the next year onwards.  There is a slight risk for the first winter but many farmers choose to take it.  (I can't speak for smallholders, when it comes to sheep I am a commercial farmer!)

The alternative product, Covexin, has a slightly different regime.  If the mother was dosed within the 6 weeks prior to lambing, then the lamb should be jabbed once only at three months old and annually thereafter.  When first in lamb, the annual jab will be brought forward to the 6-weeks-before-lambing timeslot.

Hope that is of some help
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:36 am »
You can use Heptavac on lambs from 3 weeks old (not before if the mother has been done as the lamb will have immunity from her) - 2 doses, 4-6 weeks apart. That does the males going for slaughter.

All females, my tup and the wether companion are done 4-6 weeks before lambing (including those that aren't going to lamb).

That's it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:41 am »
Same here. Makes it easy, just have to remember to do the boys and any hoggs at the pre-birth booster time, this winter I nearly forgot....

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »
So just to make sure I've got it right.

I give them all an injection on the yearly date then give them another 4-6 weeks before lambing which then becomes their anual injection date.

As the 2nd lamb was originally covered by the ewe's imunity he should have one in August as he will be 3 months old then - all the ram lambs will go for slaughter later this year.  So sad about this - but will face that hurdle when the time comes.
You are never to old to learn something new

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:58:45 am »
All lambs should get two jags, six weeks apart. They must be older than three weeks to avoidcompromising the passive immunity they get from their dams - assuming their dams have been injected prior to lambing. So if you haven't done them, do them now with two doses, 4-6 weeks apart.

If your adult sheep haven't been done either, you can do them at the same time - they need the double dose to get them on the programme.

Once they are ON the programme, they need an annual booster.

Do all sheep you have on your holding with a single dose 4-6 weeks before lambing, so probably February time, depending on when you lamb. This is the annual booster. 

Next spring / summer, do your 2012 lambs with a double dose, to get them on the programme, then all sheep in February 2013 with a single dose (the booster).

So once you're on the programme - all adult sheep in February-ish with a single dose and all lambs with a double dose in summer. Simples.

Hope this helps but if it's not clear, do ask.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:36 am »
does that protect from all pastuerella? ie is pastuerella completely preventable?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »
does that protect from all pastuerella? ie is pastuerella completely preventable?

Heptavac P Plus is supposed to protect against pasteurella ( pneumonia) but I recall someone on here had use the vaccine and still got it. I suspect nothing is completely foolproof.

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »
we did ours tonight. we have no sheepdog so herding them, was me, 4 kids, 4 tamworth weaners (why they were there, im not quite sure but they thought they were part of the gang ) and a persian cat to herd them up and it worked a treat. had to be seen to be appreciated (and of course we were singing baa..ram..ewe....lol) quite humerous though ...lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »
What a picture, pp!   ;D

My OSB gilt comes out to help move the sheep through the paddock next door to her field too.  Clearly that kiddies film had a basis in fact!

My cat, bless his soul, used to come and help in the pens sometimes. 

And my to-be-shepherding Fell pony also, I am delighted to see, likes to wheel around pushing the sheep along when the dogs are moving them - although I guess she could just be looking for an opportunity to sideswipe the collie that woofs at her...

But I've never had them all helping at once!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:53:27 pm »
  Clearly that kiddies film had a basis in fact!
thats what i was thinking  ;D ;D  cos they were nicely spaced out and actually very good, especially at the end  ;D. one kid was just visiting so i can imagine what he'l tell his mum later ... i think i mite be the mad wifey on the hill...lol

my ponies arent that talented, they would relish causing complete havoc!! i did try riding whilst herding a few times but we werent very good.  :-[

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 10:33:18 am »
This is what we do with ours.

All lambs - 1st H'Vac P at Shearing time - mid June
2nd H'Vac P mid July.

Ewe lambs kept and replacements and any rams lambs kept as potential breeding stock
1st Booster - Feb - April (time not too critical)

2nd Booster a year later four weeks before lambing. Do the rams too.

Annually thereafter.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS