Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is the most humane way of killing a chook?  (Read 14002 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
what is the most humane way of killing a chook?
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »
I hope to gods i never need do it, though i suspect as the number of birds go up i'll have to :(
i'm not squeamish but really want to know the correct way of dispatching before i need to do it!
thankies in advance
Donna x
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
Re: what is the most humane way of killing a chook?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:13:21 pm »
Think it depends on how confident your are at pulling a chooks neck, my hubby normaly shoots them with an air gun, puts the end of the gun on the head, one pellet is normally enough, if we are slaughtering for meat, he normally cuts throat straight after shooting it to bleed it. We have a friend that chops there head straight off with an axe if it hasn't got a head it's got to be dead!!! Or find someone to do it for you!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:43:33 pm »
Get someone who knows how to do it correctly.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:54:01 pm »
I watched a few youtube videos (boy does that mess up your recommendations!)

The method I "liked" is to catch your chook from the coop first thing in the morning (=sleepy). Carry by legs, the minute or so upside down sends blood to head and they get a bit dopey.
Place the bird's "chin" on the floor, and some sort of bar across the back of the neck. Hold bar down with foot, pull legs straight up = broken neck. Good for me as I was doing it on a very large bird, and was terrified of not using enough force and only injuring the poor thing.

Humane slaughter of chicken

Mel

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:43:13 am »
I have had to dispatch a few and none flap like in this video!

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:00:06 am »
I do the neck pull, usually a little too hard and the head comes off... mine also don't flap this much. I think it's flapping due to the nerves still being connected in the neck even if it is broken and pooling blood in the neck.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:23:28 am »
We have a road cone screwed upside down to a telegraph post. The narrow end is cut off to allow the head and neck through. The bird is slipped into the cone, gently, then a single airgun pellet to the back of the head. Dead. The cone prevents any flapping. If we are killing for meat, the blood vessels in the neck are severed to bleed the bird.

With the cone, it's very easy to do it single handed.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:46:08 am »
www.miketheheadlesschicken.org

This bird lived without a head for 18 months and was fed with an eye dropper.

I think too little force was used in the demmo video , it needs a much stronger pull and a longer spanner, I just hold e'm by the legs with one hand and a quick pull and twist till you feel the neck come loose. Hardly any flapping.

Mel

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 08:47:26 am »
We have a road cone screwed upside down to a telegraph post. The narrow end is cut off to allow the head and neck through. The bird is slipped into the cone, gently, then a single airgun pellet to the back of the head. Dead. The cone prevents any flapping. If we are killing for meat, the blood vessels in the neck are severed to bleed the bird.

Brilliant idea,rather like the old fashioned Turkey dispatchers,we have a cone too,thanks for this!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
I use an electric stunner then bleed them.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:47:25 pm »

liking that idea, plus it gives me an excuse to buy an airpistol.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:02:24 pm »
consensus of opinion would suggest that shooting them with an airgun is the way to go           but is that an approved form of dispatch(just wondering)and if it is what size of fowl can it go up to     with point blank range :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »
We/my hubby and son in law to be precise, did some for Christmas and it was easy, he went to them in the dark with his torch, took them one at a time quietly out and hung them up side down and pulled thier neck then bled them, some flapped a bit (blood went over the white snow) but nothing horrid and I doubt they knew much as it was very quick, my problem would be, if you hesitate its horrid!!!!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:51 pm »
I have what is described as a humane disptcher screwed to the side of the stable you place the chooks neck in and close the handle in breaks the neck and chook is dead. It even works on geese with a slight adjustment on a screw.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:34:07 pm »
I can't help thinking it's a bit ridiculous shooting chickens with an airgun. Where does the pellet go if it goes straight through or if the bird moves just at the wrong moment? The accepted way is to break the neck, either by hand, using a purpose built despatcher, or using the so called broomstick method. A swift blow to the back of the neck with a "priest" also works well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS