Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: carrots, what price to sell?  (Read 2860 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
carrots, what price to sell?
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:32 am »
I'm going to sell some carrots to a local pub but I have no idea what to charge them, any ideas where I could find a wholesale price?

I sold them some potatoes at the market price I found on the potatoe council website.  I charged them £0.50/kg for my potatoes.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: carrots, what price to sell?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:19 pm »
Look what you're local greengrocer/supermarket is charging and price yours accordingly. If yours are fresh from the ground, organic etc. I think you could put a bit on the top. Good luck :hshoe:

Mel

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:55:55 pm »
I'm going to sell some carrots to a local pub but I have no idea what to charge them, any ideas where I could find a wholesale price?

I sold them some potatoes at the market price I found on the potatoe council website.  I charged them £0.50/kg for my potatoes.
That sounds cheap to me,are they new potatoes? I have had 80+ kg of new pots this year so far and sell them for £2.00 for 3kg with people falling over to buy them!

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:04:14 pm »
yes but I'm selling to a pub, they won't be paying retail prices, they buy their produce from a wholsale company, they will be paying a bit less than retail.  I have no idea what to charge them, I might ring up a whosale Co and try to get a price that they charge.

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:22 pm »
Hi there, we sell our own organic (tho not certified) carrots, retail at £2/kg loose, if we were wholesaling them, we certainly would not let them go for less than £1/kg. According to the soil association (we are producer members) the current wholesale price of organic carrots is £1.32/kg. http://www.soilassociation.org/Farmersgrowers/Marketinformation/Pricedata/Horticulture/tabid/171/Default.aspx                                 
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS