Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing weaners to a sow and her kids  (Read 1519 times)

Squinky

• Joined Aug 2010
Introducing weaners to a sow and her kids
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »
Hi, How do think we would get on introducing a couple of weaners to a young sow who has 3 kids. Ours are about 3 month old and the weaners would be the same roughly. They are in a 4 acre field and live in an old horsebox. I could provide an old pickup canopy as additional shelter. Is there a danger the she would actually harm the new ones rather than there just being a natural sorting out of the pecking order ?
Thanks, Johnny

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Introducing weaners to a sow and her kids
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:03:40 pm »
She has kids? Well that must be a genetic first :D

If I were doing it, I would take the piglets well away from her for a couple of weeks, then introduce the two groups together. She needs to see all the little blighters as strangers. Two weeks should do it.

There is bound to be some scrapping, but if you have a big enough area for them to escape into, they will be able to move a lot faster than her and get out of her way.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: Introducing weaners to a sow and her kids
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:05:34 pm »
I always pen the "mixers" for a few days then let them in together in a big area and they will soon sort out the pecking order between themselves

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS