Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat mix or Cow dairy nuts?  (Read 14423 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Goat mix or Cow dairy nuts?
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:47 am »
lots of people have told me goat feed is really expensive and just to feed sheep mix or dairy nuts (cows).

hubby just been to feed merchant and rather than asking for dairy nuts (typically got it wrong!), he's asked about specific goat feed - seems to come in about £13 for a 20kg bag.

i'm just wondering, as we only have 2 goats, and only one of them is a milker, should we just get the goat feed?  i have no idea about the prices for the cow dairy nuts so i cant draw any kind of comparison.

at the moment they get sheep feed, which the farmer makes up himself and contains things like, rolled oats, beans, sugar beet and i think mollasses - not sure what else is in it but the girls do seem to like it lots!

or do i mix sheep and goat together to give them the best of everything?

they do have a red mineral lick as well

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Goat mix or Cow dairy nuts?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
oh and i forgot to ask - can goats eat ivy safely?  I'm trying to take out some ivy and think i read somewhere that goats like it...but dont really want to poison them if i can help it!!! :o

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:56:37 am »
regarding Ivy... there is a saying,  if a goat won't eat ivy it is either dead or dying !!!!    Seriously,  Ivy is good for goats.

Cow dairy nuts work out around £7 per 25kg bag.    Dairy nuts are far far better for goats because it contains the minerals essential for a milking animal.   Sheep mix DOES NOT contain copper (poisonous to them)  but ESSENTIAL for goats.

I never feed anything else  both from the cost point of view & the well being of the goats.

All my kids are put on calf coarse mix to start with and then changed over to weaner pellets appropriately.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:25:00 pm »
It really comes down to price I think. Mine get dairy nuts and oats (because its cheaper and they are milking), it's higher protein than normal goat mix. But for example my GG's do not like the dairy nuts as much (love the oats), because they were fed on A&P all round goat mix at their first home. I still buy a couple of bags every three weeks or so to keep them happy, and once they are dry they will go back onto it completely (at maintenance quantities as well = only a handful a day). But GG's do better at a lower protein level than other breeds.

I would also say that with a lick available the sheep mix is ok too, especially if they like it, have been used to it at their previous place, and if you are only feeding two it may just be unecnomical to have loads of different types of food around. and you are probably getting a better price per Kg if buying from a local farmer, A&P is about 13 quid for 20kg, C&B dairy nuts is around 7.50 here for 25kgs.

However sugarbeet shreds are good (I feed them to my sheep in the winter too, only the girls though), and they can have them dry (if they like them). Good to feed soaked in HOT water in winter as a mid-day warmer.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
Dairy every time . once they have to produce specific feeds for specific animals the costs rocket. there are millions of cows. Printing a few bags with the word ''goat ''suddenly puts the price up , and to produce a bag that says  ''horse '' ...licence to print money.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »
   Dairy nuts are far far better for goats because it contains the minerals essential for a milking animal.   Sheep mix DOES NOT contain copper (poisonous to them)  but ESSENTIAL for goats.

i know sheep cannot have copper but how does 'badminton country mix' work then as it is an all round feed for sheep,goats and cattle..'ideal for smallholder'????? i feed to my lambs and goats aswell as hay.
are the goats not getting what they need even though badminton sell for this purpose..i'd like to know as i'd hate to be feeding them wrong.. ???
'can't rain all the time!'

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:03:25 pm »
   Dairy nuts are far far better for goats because it contains the minerals essential for a milking animal.   Sheep mix DOES NOT contain copper (poisonous to them)  but ESSENTIAL for goats.

i know sheep cannot have copper but how does 'badminton country mix' work then as it is an all round feed for sheep,goats and cattle..'ideal for smallholder'????? i feed to my lambs and goats aswell as hay.
are the goats not getting what they need even though badminton sell for this purpose..i'd like to know as i'd hate to be feeding them wrong.. ???

If they like it and milk ok - you should be fine. Look what it says on the label, but I wouldn't start changing feeds if the goats are doing ok. As long as lick is availble - they will take it if they need it.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:56:31 pm »
I feed my sheep sheep/ewe nuts 16% when in lamb and just after. Goats when milking I feed dairy nuts and rolled barley. If heavy milker 5kg plus I mix my own to goats specific requirements but that takes a bit of time to get to grips with! So I would say stick to dairy nuts and a copper rich lick just in case the dairy nuts are low copper as can be used for milk sheep.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »
My girls won't touch nuts so they have calf crunch and love it.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »
I give the milker goat mix and a little maize (cos she loves it!)
and the billy get mixed flakes & whatever goat mix is left behind when Geraldine has had enough...

they have a red lick, which they love too
Little Blue

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »

Yes in answer o your question Allstockfeed tends to err on the safe side thats why I won't use it anymore :)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 09:20:55 pm »

Thanks for the very useful info on goats and copper. I'll look into a copper-rich lick for them, as they seem to really like the sheep crunch they've been being fed.

Is copper ok with pigs? I'm sure they boys will give it a try if they have access to it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:05:50 am »
Our local supplier - well, a good few miles away, but the only option we have - now only stocks Farmgate feeds - All stock mix and all stock pellets. which does for cattle sheep and goats. I also use a good quality chaff. and add soaked sugar beet from Autumn onwards - plus a handful of cooked mixed flakes as well.  We would either have to travel miles for dairy mix, or have it bought in in bulk tanks.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:59:13 am »
similar to Roxy we can only get Heygate Dairy nuts (There are no dairy farms anywhere near) and my Milker wont touch them, but we have to fight the kid off lol,

We can get fancy feed molasses goat mix for under £10 for 20kg and stock nuts for £7 we have been feeding a mix of both with hay and a red lick   
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »
We've never found our goats are entirely happy with "just" cattle dairy nuts. So we feed a sheep mix and the dairy nuts as well, which gives them a good mix for the minerals factor.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS