Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many cockerels  (Read 11130 times)

caroway

• Joined Jun 2011
Too many cockerels
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:16:30 pm »
Does anyone want any cockerels? I have 6 and only 6 little hens who are getting no peace!!

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: To many cockerels
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:19:58 pm »
what part of the country are you in?
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

caroway

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »
Hi - I'm in Fife.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:45 pm »
long long way away  :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:22 am »
What kind of cockerels are they? x

caroway

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »
They are bantam cockerels of very mixed breeding ! - 4 hatched last year and 2 older ones.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Too many cockerels
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:21:09 am »
I'm not having a go at caroway here, but this is one of the problems of hatching eggs that folk just don't think through. We used to get boxes of cockerels dumped at the livery stables where I used to keep Smokey. Some of the horse owners would feed them, but they fox usually got them pretty quick. TBH, I suppose there are worse ways to go, but it's just not very responsible and was pretty annoying.

If you are going to hatch eggs, be prepared to deal with the resultant cockerels.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:33:02 am »
I think the fact that she has had them since last year and longer and now trying to find homes shows she has been dealing with the consequences, not dumped them, which of course is irresponsible. I too have 6 bantam cockerels, 10 weeks old, FTGH but am prepaed to keep them if no one wants any. I'm not having a go either  :wave:

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:14:02 am »
It's just a matter of time before they start fighting. You always have a surplus. Best to do the responsible thing.The freezer beckons.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »
I have 2 cockerels in together at the moment, they only fought  after they had been separated for a while, I broke it up a few times and now peace reigns and no more crowing  so maybe if there's a whole bunch of them they'll be ok ??? time will tell. Anyway there's not enough on them to make a meal out of and I couldn't kill/pluck them, don't know if I could eat them but I'd rather eat them than the poor things that end up in the supermarket after a miserable existence

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:28 pm »
two bantams make quite a good meal. you have too many eat them up.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 06:07:55 pm »
I've kept some going for the pot this year. currently have seven light sussex cockerels in a pen together with no real problems but at the first sign of serious fisticuffs it'll be oven time. Or as soon as there's a reasonable amount of meat on them, whichever comes soonest ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »
well, wev hatched out a fair few this year and look forward to having a good few dinners from them.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »
Mine start annoying the hens, each other and me at 5-6 months, at which point they go into the freezer.

You always get too many cockerels and I don't know that people want them in general (only the occasional high quality pure breed for breeding), so best to let them have a nice life then eat them  ;)

caroway

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »
Thanks for all your comments. I wouldn't dream of dumping them. Not too much fighting -  they seem to respect boss cock but unfortunately he doesn't stop the young one's annoying the hens.  I can't bring myself to kill them in case I don't do it properly (and them enjoying life!). Sadly the person who used to do it for me is no longer here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS