Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Static caravan on own land (not for residence)  (Read 31782 times)

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
Static caravan on own land (not for residence)
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:21 am »
Hello all!

I have looked at the archives and know this topic has come up before, but I am unsure of the circumstances, so here goes:

My parents currently have a static caravan on a site in Teesdale that they generally use at weekends, the fees are paid up for this year (until Nov), however as they will now be living in the countryside (farmhouse with 11.5 acres and outbuildings) there are unlikely to need the retreat at weekends and with site fees around £1200 a year are looking to move the caravan off the site. They are considering putting the static on the land next to the existing outbuildings, the caravan will not be used as a residential dwelling apart from occasions when relatives stay. Can they do this without planning permission or have I opened a can of worms? Again they do not intent to live in the caravan it is more an ancillary building.  :-\

Many thanks, Richard

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: Static caravan on own land (not for residence)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:42:35 am »
As far as I know, this is ok. It will be used for agricultural workers taking breaks and for occasional use like lambing - won't it?! We have a caravan on our land which is used for just that. It was spotted by the local vigilantes within moments of it arriving but despite the parish council hopping up and down spouting about 'unlawful development' nothing was ever done and it's still there.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:42 am »
Good solution  :D I suppose if a willow hedge were planted around it, so it was less visible, it might provoke less reaction too.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
If its within the boundary of the house and not connected to the mains you will not need any planning permission.  Its fine for holidays, but cannot be used as a dwelling.

Ta

Barry

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:46 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Barry, it depends on how one would see the boundary of the house, the house and gardens abut against the outbuildings (i.e no fence) before the fields which are fenced, so I would argue that as long as it isn't put within a field then theoretically it would be in the grounds of the house. I'm sure power could temporarily be provided via an extension from the main outbuilding workshop. I will keep you all posted, and we shall see how long it takes before someone takes issue.

Regards, Richard

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:09 pm »
Hi
Just to provide an alternative view, we are living in ours as temporary accomodation as house is uninhabitable, whilst we renovate. We were told by planners (even for temproary residence) that we would have to apply for planning unless we were doing all the work ourselves, i.e., could not be used as temp site office or if we were living on site but just project managing. We have pointed out that a) OH is doing majority of work (as not qualified electrician/plumber etc) and that b) we have animals on site that need looking after ( pigs/chickens/sheep etc) and c) as soon as house is habitable the van will be in the way ( already is, but it was best place to put it at the time). The have let it go but wanted to charge us.

Fortunately locals are OK because we save the site from being 'developed'.

I would say that it may depend on your local planners.

Jo

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
We are waiting for planning permission to be granted for a new toilet block on our campsite and so have had to put two portacabins up this year for customers to use - the planner came last week and told me I needed planning permission for the temp cabins - while I waited for the planning to come through for the toilets.  - I nearly shat myself laughing.

Baz

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:21:48 pm »

We had this with out static that's in a corner of the garden. Local council told us we needed planning permission. I produced photographs showing there'd been a caravan there for around thirty years (not necessarily the same one) and they backed down, but advised if we wanted to put a second one there we'd need to apply.

This is plumbed in to mains water/sewer/electric incidentally.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »
I've been looking into this sort of thing recently too.
As I see it a lot has to do with local planner interpretations and leniency or otherwise.
Theoretically if it's on wheel there is no argument and if the property is downgraded to being a house rather than farm or smallholding then the new rules make life easy - but then re-registering as a farm can be iffy.
Once plumbing and power go in then it gets harder too on farm land.
One of the ways you can help yourself is to be creative with the purpose of the space - storage is better than workshop is way better than office is better then temporary or part time residence..although holiday cabin may get you permission again as a potential local income earner... Trade -offs with demolishing a ruin might or might not help if you have collapsed shelters on the land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »
Councils are stroppy about statics as they have had many fingers and toes burned with travellers. So they cant afford to set a precedent of allowing something harmless in case it is then used to try to get away with unlawful traveller sites causing chaos.

If its not connected to mains, is mobile and isnt lived in, then they may be OK but they can expect to have to demonstrate this to the council at some point. A touring caravan presents a lot fewer headaches but can see if they already have the static thats what they want to use.

We have one we lived in while the first phase of the house was made habitable. We still have another phase to do, so altho we are only permitted to keep it until we finish, thats been a while already. To be honest its a pain in the butt and if the freezer and wash machine werent in there (no room in phase 1)  I would get it gone tomorrow as it costs a lot to background heat a static enough up here (NE Scotland) to stop pipes freezing and they still normally freeze anyway! So worth considering the costs of that before deciding to retain it!

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:31:42 pm »
They really do need to retain it. It's probably 10 years old so the site owner would only offer peanuts (if he wanted to keep it at all) it is worth more to my dad as an extra store room. Put it this way if they didn't already own it they won't be buying one to put on the property. It's a decent two bedroom van, only thing is dad took out the fitted seating at the front to put in a L-shaped couch. I guess they will just take a chance and if they have to remove it then so be it.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:32:16 pm »
Could it be 'redressed' into a shepherds hut? surely that would be ok ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:46:38 pm »
They really do need to retain it. It's probably 10 years old so the site owner would only offer peanuts (if he wanted to keep it at all) it is worth more to my dad as an extra store room. Put it this way if they didn't already own it they won't be buying one to put on the property. It's a decent two bedroom van, only thing is dad took out the fitted seating at the front to put in a L-shaped couch. I guess they will just take a chance and if they have to remove it then so be it.

We also removed the fitted seating; well we didnt really, our Doberman sort of ate it, but same difference I expect!

If they are happy that at worst (if someone kicks up and the planners are stroppy)  it might have to be for storage and any enhanced usage would be a bonus then there isnt really any downside and they should go ahead and plonk it. Might want to think about screening tho to minismise any chance of moans, tho that depends on the siting. It might be fine and noone might say anything.

waterhouse

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:09 am »
Wheels don't always help. There's been crackdown is some areas on field shelters which quite often are actually permanent buildings to all intents. Putting down hard standing is classed as development as is marking out development plots on unconsented land.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:53:27 am »
How did this happen that we let councils tell us what we are permitted to do on our own land? Sorry - but we're going through a planning nightmare at the moment trying to get a polytunnel on our smallholding , thanks to the nightmare neighbours and the jobsworth council. If this localism bill goes through it will only get worse. All the Nimby retirees and the 'no change here now I've got my nice house' parish council will stop anyone doing anything, ever. Rant over. Sorry for thread hijack! :gloomy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS