Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cream Legbar questions....  (Read 3465 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Cream Legbar questions....
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:43:30 am »
A couple of questions about my Cream Legbars.

Firstly, one of the little girls has no tail. Has anyone come across a chicken without a tail before? I'll post a piccy later.
Secondly, I have two different age groups, the older ones roost in the rafters of a shed, the little ones seem keen to do the same. Are they known for not wanting to sleep in a hen house?
Thirdly, when do they lay? I've mentioned this before, but my older batch are around 29 weeks and I don't know if they're laying or not!
Advice welcome.
Ta!
 :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Cream Legbar questions....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:16:17 am »
Re: not knowing if they are laying, pick one up, turn her on her back, and see how many fingers' widths you can fit between her 'pin bones' - you'll feel the pointy bones sticking out either side of where the egg comes out.  If you can get three fingers' widths, she's laying.  Otherwise there's not enough room for an egg to pass, so she's not laying yet!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:17:04 am »
I bought some 14 week olds in, must be around 22 weeks now.  Only one of those is sporting a tail  - oh, and the cockerel of course.  Others do not appear to have tails.  Have also got some  I hatched, but cannot tell re the tails yet.
My older ones go back to their shed at night, but can be a bit flighty at times......seem to prefer sleeping on the floor at the moment.

Looking on the hopeful side, I would expect pullets to be laying at around 22 weeks plus, although realistically its usually a couple more weeks.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:53:52 am »
Thanks for that! I can't catch them to check for the width, flighty indeed! Pesky birds!
 :wave:

Bioman

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:03:23 pm »
I've had a chicken with no tail, its often caused by the tail feathers being continually pecked out when they are young. The tail feathers sort of give up growing. She lived till a ripe old age though  :)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:31:50 pm »
http://www.araucana.org.uk/breed_standards.html

have a look at this some araucanas have no tail  :wave: also blue egg layers  :chook: :chook: :chook:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:55:19 am »
Rumpless! That's what she is, poor thing.

I suppose it must be something genetic, her three siblings all have tails, she looks a bit odd. Like a quail.

Thanks!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:02:06 pm »
Hiya,  Just to say that the wee Legbar fellow we got from you slept in the hen house of his own accord, right from day one. I think the allure of 15 bloke-less ladies inside was just too much temptation for him!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:47:05 am »
Excellent. His brother sleeps in the rafters! Mind you, we need to do a  cull of the chaps......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS