Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what pig  (Read 7485 times)

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: what pig
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 11:22:04 am »
Same here, my ducks and chooks spend a lot of time wandering round and feeding with the pigs,they're often to be found having a siesta amidst a pile of pigs!! ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 11:52:08 am »
My choox are totally free-ranging and LOVE following the pig when she's turning over the earth - picking off all the worms and insects she's turned up and missed herself.  So far I've never seen her so much as 'oof' at them.

And of course I have to throw in an ad for the Oxford Sandy & Black - lovely looking, lovely natures, very friendly, easy to care for, not too big (but bigger than Kunes), do eat grass, nettles, thistles (though not so keen on docks - have to scatter their food to make them dig the docks up), not too destructive (but more diggy than Kunes) and not too escape-minded provided their pen is large enough and interesting enough.  Fab pork & bacon, won't get too fat if you don't overfeed (but you will get tremendous crackling  :yum:), mine went to slaughter at 7 months.  Oh - and in my case, cohabits happily with choox, dogs, calves, sheep, ponies...  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 11:55:58 am »
This matches our experience too: our chooks and our neighbour's ducks & geese happily mix with our pigs. I do know of pigs who have eaten poultry, though, especially if they share bedspace at night. Certainly our pigs have had the odd pheasant that has dropped in. Thy will also trash your duck pond, if allowed near it.
As to breeds, if you want something a bit bigger than a Kune kune that doesn't root too much, how about a middle white?
Of course, i have to agree with SallyIntNorth that OSBs are wonderful, but they do get quite big if you leave them to grow to bacon weight.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 08:50:44 pm »
ok ...thanks for all that... ime looking at some kunes sunday may start with them.see how it goes, then try something a bit bigger next year.. i will have to put a couple of ducks in with  them to see what happens i suppose its all down to the individual pig......

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:57 pm »
ok..got 2 males kune piglets.. let them out yesterday... havent seen them since as the growth is chest high...i assume they are dossing somewhere........... will look again later... what are the economics of keeping pigs, i assume its cheaper to buy a butchered one but thats not why i got them i hope they will clear the ground, loads of free range to clear so with a few nuts i suppose i may break even?????  probably to much to clear for them so might get 2 more next week

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 05:54:21 pm »
good luck then. we have indian runners and chooks free range with pigs and never had any trouble, it probly depends on the pig, space, housing and feeding routines. you'l soon find out!  :o

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 06:58:43 pm »
ok..got 2 males kune piglets.. let them out yesterday... havent seen them since as the growth is chest high...i assume they are dossing somewhere........... will look again later... what are the economics of keeping pigs, i assume its cheaper to buy a butchered one but thats not why i got them i hope they will clear the ground, loads of free range to clear so with a few nuts i suppose i may break even?????  probably to much to clear for them so might get 2 more next week
I would be slightly concerned that I hadn't seen them  :-\
Are you certain they are actually still there ?
I would always recommend keeping them in a small pen for the first week, that way they learn to associate you with the bucket and come running when you shout  ;) Don't want to worry you - but it's worth making sure you know where they are and that they are sleeping in their arc (or at least know where it, their food and their water is)
But enjoy them, Kunes are great !
Karen  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 07:45:15 pm »
all ok they appeared this pm from the 4 foot nettles (i wasnt going to look for them in that lot..... didnt pen them in as there are 4 different places for them to use as a shelter .... and if anything like my ducks and hens ie they have sevaral nice sheds but prefer to use the trees or roost on the shed roof right though the winter, snow and all,so i thought bugger it you lot find where you want to sleep, and they drink from a stream only 4 inches deep.......... so as with the ducks i rattle the food bucket so i can inspect the pigs at feeding time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:58:28 pm by harry »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 10:09:45 pm »
Glad to hear your Kunes have settled-in Harry.  Not sure if you've got castrates or entires - but I'd be careful mixing entires from different litters - Kunes mature sexually quite early compared to other breeds (about 5 months-old) & may scrap even with no females to wind 'em up ::)
Your field sounds like Kune heaven - mine love nettles & docks, clover, goosegrass etc in preference to just grass.  If you want them to dig it up you will probable need to confine them to small areas & move them around - are they trained to electric fencing?  I use the white "horse tape" as they can see it easier.  They will also be more likely to root if you throw their feed on the ground too.
Mine are also fine with chucks, ducks & turkey poults who frequent the paddock the mums & piglets are in (not stupid - they know the "maternity wing" gets the extras  ;) They also ignore our daft Setters, who are more scared of the pigs than the other way round!
As a guide, we recently sent some to the abbatoir; a 14-month castrate killed-out at 82kgs, a 7-month boar killed-out at 24kgs & a year-old boar killed-out at 54kgs.  No sign of any boar-taint, but we haven't tried Karen's sensitivity test yet  ;) ;D
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:44 am »
our chickens and ducks get in with the pigs all the time,clear up and feed bits etc...better than rats having it! >:( we have a kk and 2 larger sows and all are fine with them........kk are great though..you'll be addicted soon! ;D
'can't rain all the time!'

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »
hi...yes i got 2 complete boys 6 weeks old from the same litter..... they are having a good go already rooting around but i may see if i can 2 more cos the work i want them to do seems emence for them.... would i need to get them from the same litter (if hes still got some) at that age for them to settle in............no not electric fence trained but i bloody well am having walked into it a few times thinking it was off......... the perimeter is electric but there area is street barriers and chain linked.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:50:34 pm by harry »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »
If you've got entires you would be better getting litter brothers - either that or purchase others & make another paddock to keep them in.  BTW I would have thought that 6 week-olds should really still be with their mum - I don't know what other folks think, but I don't wean my Kunes until they are 8 weeks.  Have you checked if they have been wormed? If not you need to get them done sharpish or the burden will affect their health ( & their growth).

They'll soon get used to the electric fence - it only takes 1 or 2 shocks to keep most pigs away from it ( not like us humans  ;) ;D )
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS