Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kune kunes?  (Read 2127 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
kune kunes?
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »
the areas where we keep our pigs is now totally overgrown and we are considering cutting it all down - with our smallholder mentality of "waste nothing" it so goes against the grain to do this & we've considered putting a couple of sheep on it but decided not really practical.

so i'm wondering if maybe a couple of kune kunes?  and how hardy are they as presumably we'd need to over winter?

and if this is a go-oer - does anyone want to swap a couple for a couple of sheltand sheep?  (HH i am remembering our deal for next year :))

HappyHippy

Re: kune kunes?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »
Hehehe Laura  ;) I've got Kunes too - could always work something out  ;)

They're really hardy - and as long as they've got company to cuddle up to and a dry, deep straw bed they'll be fine (although, if you're looking for young stock at this time of year you might find they'll vanish under a foot of snow, so unless you've a stable or somewhere inside you could keep them over the worst of the weather you would probably be best either waiting til next spring or buying adults (though that does away with the cute factor of the weaners  ;))

Mine are out all year, with wee shots in the shed for everybody (except the boar, who refuses to come in !) it was minus 20 winter just past and he was fine - his arc was warmer than our living room  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS