Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kunes  (Read 3016 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
kunes
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:10 pm »
what can you tell me about kunes........... see my thread in goats.. ie nettles and docks, someone suggested a kunes or 2 would be a good idea...help please

HappyHippy

Re: kunes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:24 am »
Kune Kunes are fantastic, friendly little pigs - mostly kept as oudoor pets or long term grass management tools, but they do also produce great pork (takes longer than 'standard' pigs, but they don't eat as much !)
Here's a link to the Kune Kune society website http://www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/kunekunekeeping.html
Also, if you use the search box up top of the page and type Kune Kune, you'll get links to loads of info on them there too  ;)
I wouldn't be without them  ;)
Karen  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:23 am »
Oh, I forgot to say ALWAYS get AT LEAST two. They are so incredibly social and although they thrive on human company, they do need other pigs for company also if you've got a big area (more than half an acre) they'll struggle to keep on top of the vegitation growth, so the more the merrier.
A quick word of warning too - either buy a same sex group or make sure the males are castrated, Kunes become sexualy mature from 3 months  :o (but a drawback of castration is that they do grow slower  :()
HTH
Karen x

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »
(but a drawback of castration is that they do grow slower  :()

just kunes or pigs in general?

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:10:07 pm »
I've only really noticed it with Kunes ..... so far  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:27 pm »
the hamlops =Hampshire's cross British lop      at 32 wks castrate weighed 105 kilos his sisters weighed 83 102 105 125 105 and 120kilos be your own judge
pure Hampshire's at 27 weeks the entire boar weighs94 kilos the castrate weighs 95 kilos their six week weight was 10kilos and 15 kilos there 20 week weight was 47 kilos and 61 kilos in fairness the castrate has had pneumonia last Saturday and he has been beside gilts   :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS