Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soap Making  (Read 3259 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Soap Making
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:30:11 pm »
I have now made my first two batches of soap in the last 24 hours and already I am addicted.  Was dancing around like a kid at Christmas this morning when I looked at the first batch and it had worked.  Now made a handy kitchen soap and away to try a goats milk - so excited!!  Shame I can't actually test any of them four weeks though ;D ;D ;D :love:

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Re: Soap Making
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:26 pm »
Ok, so I may well have ran away with myself there  :-[  I made goatm milk soap this afternoon (which is really why I'm taking up soapmaking) and I think it curdled as soon as I put the lye in - looked awful anyway but I ploughed on through the recipe and whisked it to try to get rid of the curdled-ness(?) but there is still a few white spots in it from curdled milk (doesn't sound appealing does it)  should I discard the whole batch or will it be ok?  Just for me and family.  It smells really nice and traced ok.  What can I do to prevent that happening in future?  Any help greatly appreciated.
Melanie x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »
If it is just for family it will be fine. You need to add the lye when the milk is really cold, best is to freeze the amount you need and then start to de-frost and add the lye when it is just at the slushy stage. You can help the partial defrost by puting in a fork and trying to crash/slush the ice/milk in the process.

Should probably work other way round too - put in lye once it is almost frozen.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »
test it with some ph strips just to make sure its not undissolved lye.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »
Thank you - I will test them - I take it I do this after the curing process and before I use them? :-[

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »
Ideally yes, but you could probably test for lye in less than a month. quite often mine have reached PH of 7 by a week of curing but you will need to be looking for white lumps (if you were to stick a pin in to them, clear liquid could ooze) nasty - have lost a few batches in the early days to lye crystals appearing  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:08:01 pm »
Thank you very much for your help, I'll test them and keep you posted x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS