Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vegetables that stock wont eat  (Read 2511 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Vegetables that stock wont eat
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:34:49 am »
Is there anything I can grow that doesnt need a huge fence around?

I have molly lambs that just roam around the farm in spring and my goats get out of the pen every few months, I also have free range chickens that like a nibble on most things green.

Is there anything I can grow that they wont eat and that I dont have to raise into a hanging basket?

They always seem to find a way through my fencing but I'd love to grow some vegetables for us to eat.

Baz

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Vegetables that stock wont eat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:38 pm »
Not sure I can think of anything tbh. Our veg plot is fenced with rabbit wire with electric along the top. Stops the chickens and goats getting in (didn't stop a blooming rabbit tho which jumped the wall).  ;D

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:03 pm »
My vegies are in an area fenced only with used hay netting (the stuff round big rolls) it seems to keep out my hens and escapee sheep.I do let the chickens roam eveywhere but they are lazy and have enough where they are...If they see the gate open they are soon in, chasing and shouting works then. Thats also what I had to do when they descovered that a neighbour fed the wild birds (with lots of crumbs on the floor) LucKily they seem to have forgotten that!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
I think you will be hard pushed to find a veg that will not get eaten by any animal, but then again I may be wrong :farmer:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:53 pm »
We've got leccy fence round ours, about 5 wires starting about 2 and a 1/2 inches off the deck to keep rabbits out and up to about 2 ft high. I spray round the perimiter with weedkiller to stop it shorting out. Seems to work.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS