Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To Market, to market  (Read 8403 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: To Market, to market
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:33 pm »
Aparently they are prefered complete with all their 'medals' for the Asian market.

For halal slaughter without stunning?

From what I read, most halal slaughter both here and in New Zealand is now done with a reversible pre-stun.
http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2010/09/23/123611/Meat-industry-defends-halal-slaughter-policy.htm

But I guess you shouldn't believe everything you read?

What I had never realised was that all beef & lamb imported to the UK from NZ has been slaughtered to halal standards (with a pre-stun.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 01:55:58 am »
There are around 36 million sheep in the UK. Half of these are adults used for breeding and 17million are lambs (sheep under 1 year of age).its the lowest for 100 yeres the fu said .so prices will soon be £100 per head.

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »
If you have weigh scales try any get them away about 42kgs.  You want them fat over the back and the tail but not obese  I would think you would have got more for a lamb of that weight.  And yes the Asian market for entire rams and cull ewes is having a big effect on prices  ;D  

Excellent weight gain for lambs of that age, you should be very pleased with yourself!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »
 ;) ;)

Thing is, I am not squeemish at all Lachlanandmarcus... certainly not with the Job i do!!

Having read into the Halal practice I am not so *overly* concerned yet. Having said that, I want to check with the purchaser, and local abattoirs about their practices before i completely settle my mind. From what I have read on a number of sources the vast majority of Halal meat is pre-stunned.

Once I have found more out about local practices I will report back! if anyone is interested?
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 11:31:45 am »
Once I have found more out about local practices I will report back! if anyone is interested?

I sure am, yes please.  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:22 pm »
.so prices will soon be £100 per head.

what would u sell a half or whole lamb for then? ie butchered

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS