Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: going to make som goats milk yoghurt tonight....  (Read 5600 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
going to make som goats milk yoghurt tonight....
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:37:38 pm »
I've made yoghurt lots of times so am familiar with the process, but up till now I've only used shop bought stuff.

Now we have our own milk supply, i thought I'd give it a go tonight.

Can anyone tell me if i have to pasteurise the milk first or can i just heat it to boiling and then leave to cool......oh i just realised that is kind of pasteurising d'uh!!

so is that all i need to do?

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: going to make som goats milk yoghurt tonight....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »
I bring mine to the boil simply because it said somewhere that it makes goats milk yoghurt thicker  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:14 pm »
Note that I only have experience with cows milk; goats milk may be different to cows in some respects - goat people please shout up!

The theory is that if you don't pasteurise then you may get other-than-the-desired bacteria, so most people advise you to pasteurise.

My own experience is that when I am making a batch of starter to freeze then I definitely pasteurise first.  If I am making a batch of 'end product' that will not be frozen and will be eaten quickly just by us then I don't necessarily  bother to pasteurise.   The whole thing about yoghurt (and cheese) cultures is that they are very competitive bacteria - by innoculating with a good dollop of nice, warm, active culture, the ones you want will most likely out-grow anything else that's likely to be in there.

Sometimes you get happy accidents when batches are allowed to 'mature'...  :yum:    And sometimes the pig gets a treat...  :D

If you are happier pasteurising, you won't do any harm.  But don't boil, boiling will denature the proteins.  To pasteurise it is necessary only to heat to 68 deg C and hold for 30 mins, or to 72 deg C and hold for 30 seconds. 

Enjoy!  Let us know how you get on!   :yum: :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:12:02 pm »
Egglady, how did you get on?  We find that goats yogurt tends to be thinner than yogurt made with cows milk. You can strain it though to get a thicker "greek" type yogurt.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »
Dave you know how it is.....once I'd finished chopping 3 kilos of onions to put in the freezer i couldnt be bothered...plus my eyes were streaming so i couldnt even see what i was doing.......that's my excuse anyways

aiming for tonight.....
made fabby custard instead though :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »
I just heat the milk until it feels just about a bit warm, put in some shop-bought (cowsmilk) yoghurt, and off it goes into the yoghurt maker. never bothered with pasteurisation, and yoghurt is always nice, but definitely more runny than the shop-bought stuff. I do however find that after two or three times using the last bit in the pot for the next batch I am better off buying another wee yoghurt pot. Yeo valley is best (for us).

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:52 pm »
We sometimes use a small (170g) tin of evaporated milk and make it up to 1 litre with goats milk.  OK so it's not strictly goat yogurt but it's lovely and thick and creamy.   ;D

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »
top tips...many ta's :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41:11 am »
We started making goats yoghurt only a fortnight ago and we've had some good results. My mum gets most benefit as she loves it with honey and because she has MS and is quite poorly, I like the fact that this is probiotic and good for her health wise too.
children not too keen but will keep working on them  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:59 am »
We started making goats yoghurt only a fortnight ago and we've had some good results. My mum gets most benefit as she loves it with honey and because she has MS and is quite poorly, I like the fact that this is probiotic and good for her health wise too.
children not too keen but will keep working on them  ;)

Try mixing some milk shake powder into the yoghurt before you chill it...I know it's full of sugar but the kids love it  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:17:18 am »
I tried with some nesquik (chocolate) powder but still they grizzled (apart from India who will try anything!) have tried adding melted chocolate, liquid milkshake and tried large sprinkles.
Maybe I needed to add more milkshake powder than I did? it was possibly a bit weak.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 08:29:25 am »
or get some different kids! ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:17:47 am »
I like your thinking Katie!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:45 pm »
Mine like it as a banana "milk" (- yoghurt) shake, but I do add some sugar. Also the same for any fresh fruits like strawberries, etc. Initially I sold it to them as here is a milkshake, just didn't mention the yoghurt in it.

But my younger daughter has developed the strangest breakfast habits: She loves oats (just raw rolled oats) with goatsmilk yoghurt. No sugar, nothing added! Well it could be worse....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS