Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eco washing  (Read 6586 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
eco washing
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »
Hi, I remember a recent thread or maybe a diary entry about washing detergents and Rosemary recommending soda crystals.

I just sent off for a free sample of Indian Wash nuts, apparently this comes to 3 p a wash when purchased.

http://www.inasoapnutshell.com/id20.html

I've been using eco wash balls for years. They're not cheap (between £15 online  and £ 35 from the health food store depending on the brand or from Green City), but over the last 15 years I needed only  1 refill. Not sure how they work but they do without any detergent (occasional stain remover ).

:&>

HappyHippy

Re: eco washing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:22:08 pm »
Hi,
They featured the 'soap nuts' on It's not easy being green last night and I thought they looked the business - let us know how you get on with them.
In the meantime - if they're free I might just as well get some !  ;D
Karen

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:40 am »
... hey up ....

... we've been using Eco-ball for 6 months, now... completely happy with them...

... save money onwashing powder, too ....

... got them from www.ethicalsuperstore.com

Cheers
Pete

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:42:57 am »
Hi, I remember a recent thread or maybe a diary entry about washing detergents and Rosemary recommending soda crystals.

I just sent off for a free sample of Indian Wash nuts, apparently this comes to 3 p a wash when purchased.

http://www.inasoapnutshell.com/id20.html

I've been using eco wash balls for years. They're not cheap (between £15 online  and £ 35 from the health food store depending on the brand or from Green City), but over the last 15 years I needed only  1 refill. Not sure how they work but they do without any detergent (occasional stain remover ).

:&>

how orders some too i aminterested in the eco-balls but i think theprice of themis a little off putting at the moment !  but it possible works out cheaper then washing powder

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:44:44 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:47:25 am »
i'm thinking of converting the old stables in my garden into something useful - was thinking of putting a utility room down there for th ewashing machine, but it is lower than the septic tank in pipe, so i'd have to put the water somewhere

was thinking if i moved to eco powder (or similar) i could simply put the output of the machine out into water butts and use the butts to water my plants - and then flow away naturally through the garden

only do a couple of washes a week, so i'm sure there would be no more water than that used normally to water the plants - though might be a problem over winter, hmmmmm

just talked myself out of it!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:53:29 am »
you might have a problem with 'stail' water? if grey water stand for a while it get poggy i think i can rememer hearing that some where

you could step it up a bit and make the water go in to a reed bed? and 'drain' away especially if your using eco- systems

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:29:07 am »
I wouldn't use soapy water for the garden (It's probably ok for some plants but maybe not for all), but if you use the detergent free washes, I'm sure you can. Or you could flush the loo with it. On "It's not easy being green" they built a pump system from the water butt to the loo. :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:54:02 am »
if you are using eco friendly product like ecover thingys then they are ok to be used on the garden
Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:38:39 pm »
Honestly, you don't need washing powder. The washing soda works great on colours and whites and I find that even if I have to dry washing indoors (most of the time at the moment) it never gets a stale smell. I wish I'd done this years ago.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »
Aldi's having the packs of eco -balls this coming Sunday for only & 5.35, includes stain remover (bargain!)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:28:09 pm »
Good old aldi here is the link

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

£5. 35  per pack *

(150 washes, 3.6p per wash)

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:33:50 am »
Thanks for posting this... I see from the link that the offer starts from 15th Feb... I'll take a toot along to Aldi and pick a pack up and give them a try  :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »
ok been using the soap nuts am currently looking at the balls on ebay at the mo.

The thing i have notice is that the soap nut them self smell of vinegar, I can't smell anything on the washing and none of the family has mentioned anything.
So next time i go pass a 'smelly shop' i'll see if i can get some tea tree or something to help with add a smell to the washing. Might also help if i get hubby to put washing line up so i can get an outdoor smell on the washing

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »
I bought the Eco Balls when they were on offer at Aldi's, been using them  for a good number of weeks now and totally happy with them  ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:06:13 am »
ooohhh crafty i have just noticed that not all 'eco balls' on ebay are environmentaly cocerned some are just lumps of detergant in a ball and last for only 10 washes !!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS