Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peg loom weaving - when to wash fleece?  (Read 16892 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Peg loom weaving - when to wash fleece?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »
Have stopped washing for the day - started at 7am - still got the majority of the Shropshire fleeces to do. I've 4 pillowcases full of dry wool (yay!), a full Heras panel getting an extra rinse in the rain (it says sunshine tomorrow again), water drips throughout the building, and a stiff back!

The end is in sight.... Think my ginger ram's fleece will go into one rug of it's own, it's gorgeous. In fact, I might not send him to the freezer but keep him on as a wool animal. Are subsequent shearings as good in general?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »
Quick update: first attempt took one distracted afternoon. The Heb fleece was hard to keep as a continuous piece, the others were easier. It also shrank significantly after washing again!

And the ginger fleece still awaits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »
My goodness you have been a busy lady  ;D ;D  I love that ginger fleece  :)  I spent several days sorting and picking about 50 fleeces (40kgs) which I have taken down to Halifax Mill near Selby for spinning, half into knitting yarn and half into rug yarn - weft. I intend to use some of the rug yarn with handspun or unspun for a peg loom rug and the rest for a big loom rug.  I have washed a couple of fleeces but that is my next task - loads more  ::).  Just now I am  a bit fed up with the sight of fleece  :D :D.  I expect it will be a while before I come with the finished articles - I'm a slow worker  :(   Your panel things are really perfect for drying fleece
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:49:09 pm »
I still have 7 and a half pillowcases full to play with  :o

How much are Halifax mill charging for your spinning etc (and what are they doing - carding and spinning?)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 01:43:17 am »
I still have 7 and a half pillowcases full to play with  :o

How much are Halifax mill charging for your spinning etc (and what are they doing - carding and spinning?)
Ummm - I can't remember  ::)  I think I switched off once I had begun to work it out, I just know it will be quite a bit.  They charge for returned weight which will apparently be about 50%.  I was hoping I would get a better percentage as I had sorted all the fleeces first, but we will see. They are trying to source some black alpaca to add to the knitting yarn at about 20% so that will increase the overall amount I get back.
They are scouring, carding, spinning and returning on cones.  They can do hanks or balls but I am going for the cheapest option.  At the moment their turn-around time is about 8-10 weeks, but I'm not in any rush.
I have loads more bags of older fleece to sort and send off somewhere, plus a lot to wash and use myself - six years backlog  :o.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:40:26 pm »
They charge for returned weight which will apparently be about 50%.

That seems quite strange - I thought everybody charged by incoming weight - so if it is very greasy you get back less, but still pay the same as a less greasy/dirty fleece. I am currently working my way through my fleeces, and am planning to send them off, but as I do not know how much I will to send, not sure when or if at all that will happen.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 12:20:50 am »
The Natural Fibre Co charges for returned weight too.  Where do you intend to send yours Anke?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS