Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to start?!?  (Read 5318 times)

davewalks

• Joined Jan 2008
Where to start?!?
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
Hi to all,

We are a family of 3 - to become 4 soon (will be two young children) - and we have a desire to rent / buy a plot of land for the purpose of keeping animals, growing veg, woodland and generally enjoying the quiet times. You'd think this could be easy living in Cumbria - though I am struggling to get any leads. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Dave

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Where to start?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:05:52 pm »
Hi Dave

Welcome.

We always have a look at www.uklanddirectory.org.uk - one of the forum's members recently secured some land through it. Slim pickings in Cumbria I'm afraid, and the prices are really high - have you thought of relocating somewhere more remote? The North coast of Scotland has some great bargains (for now!).

Best of luck,

Pebbles

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:03:05 am »
Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum. It was us that Pebbles mentioned  who were able to buy some land from www.uklanddirectory.org.uk. I know there may not be anything suitable there at the moment but it is certainly worth keeping an eye on. You can also ask any local farmers , landowners etc. if they have an area of land they are not utilising which they could rent/sell. It is also worthwhile contacting anyone local that deals with farmers or smallholders such as agricultural supplies. livestock dealers and markets, as the more people who know what you are looking for  the better.

Please keep us informed how you are getting on and good luck. It will happen!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:01:17 pm »
Hi, Dave and welcome.

Hope you enjoy the site and the forums. Land's certainly not easy to come by at any reasonable price, especially if it has planning permission. If you are prepared to relocate Dumfries, Ayrshire and Aberdeenshire seem to be better and aren't QUITE as remote as the Western Isles, Orkney or Caithness!

Rosemary

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 05:38:29 pm »
Hi Dave

Did you get your plot of land?

How are you doing?

Kate :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:07:58 am »
Caithness and Orkney's outer isles are pretty much the only affordable places now - unless you are exceptionally well off or prepared to have a large mortgage and carry on working.

I'd recommend Orkney to anyone.

Hope you find something suitable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS